That’s how we both felt a couple mornings ago. We had gone out to eat the evening before and were still feeling rather full. We wanted something light and healthy for our breakfast. After putting on our thinking caps (they’re really quite lovely!), we decided to make a healthy smoothie for each of us, full of fruits and veggies.What a great way to start our day…you know…actually eating something good for us!
I went on a pillaging mission in our kitchen. I grabbed a couple frozen bananas (which I keep year round in our freezer), some frozen blueberries (leftover from my blueberry picking spree last summer), and a few strawberries. I decided we needed something of the veggie variety to throw into the old blender to increase the healthiness aspect of our smoothies (translation…how to “sneak” in a veggie before my husband knew what hit him)…so out into our back yard I went and picked a handful of kale from our garden (convenient, huh?).
- 1¼ cups vanilla almond milk (I've also substituted orange juice for this...quite good!)
- 2 frozen, ripe bananas (if bananas frozen, you won't need ice. If room temp, add some crushed ice)
- 1 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- 1 cup kale, chopped (and large stems removed)
- 5-6 strawberries
- 1 Tablespoon flax seed (this is great fiber...helps fill you up...but is optional)
- Place the almond milk, bananas, and blueberries in the blender. (If the bananas are not frozen, add a small handful of crushed ice to the mixer).
- Blend until smooth.
- Add remaining ingredients; blend well. If it is too thick, add a bit more almond milk...you really can't hurt these smoothies! Serve and ENJOY!