Time for another chicken dish…today’s recipe is Chicken Marsala, and let me tell ya… it is GOOD!!
This is actually a ridiculously EASY Weight Watcher’s recipe that I used several times when I was following a WW regimen. The recipe takes just a little over half an hour to prepare and is a lightened up version of this popular dish, made with a mushroom/Marsala wine sauce.
According to Wikipedia, Marsala wine is produced in the region surrounding the Italian city of Marsala, in Sicily. It was originally a simple table wine; later it was fortified and produced to endure long ocean voyages (several hundred years ago) to other countries in Europe.
This recipe makes 4 servings, and if you follow a WW program, each serving has a value of 5 Points Plus. All that said, it is a pretty tasty chicken dish that I enthusiastically recommend, especially if you are trying to cut out extra calories, but want flavorful dishes. The mushroom wine sauce is wonderful…so yummy. This dish is good served on a bed of rice…the rice is great to “sop up” that tasty sauce! Hope you enjoy this simple, lightened up chicken dish!
Recipe Source: http://www.weightwatchers.com/food/rcp/RecipePage.aspx?recipeId=93721
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3 cups fresh mushrooms , sliced
- 1 pound boneless , skinless chicken breasts (4 - 4 ounce pieces, uncooked)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black ground pepper
- 1/2 cup Marsala table wine
- 1 1/4 cups beef broth (reduced sodium), divided
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons cornstarch
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the sliced mushrooms to the skillet; saute them until they release liquid and are tender (about 5 minutes).
- While the mushrooms are cooking, season the chicken breasts (on both sides) with the thyme, salt and pepper.
- When the mushrooms are finished cooking, move them to the outer edge of your skillet.
- Put the chicken breasts into the middle of the skillet; cook chicken breasts until they are golden. This will take about 3 minutes per side.
- Add the Marsala wine to the skillet. simmer for 1 minute.
- Add only 3/4 cup of the beef broth (reserve the other 1/2 cup), and simmer (uncovered) until the chicken breasts are cooked through. this will take 8-9 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, dissolve the cornstarch into the remaining 1/2 cup of beef broth; add this mixture to the skillet. Simmer all ingredients until the sauce thickens (about 1 minute). Stir constantly and mix the mushrooms into the sauce. Remove from heat.
- Serve the chicken breasts with the mushroom wine sauce spooned over the top. Use all the sauce. (There will be about 1/3 cup of the sauce per chicken breast.
- Garnish with additional dried thyme, if desired. Serve, and enjoy!