If you like the combination of sweet/salty/crunchy combined with a bit of tangy, then this Crostini With Figs, Gorgonzola, Honey And Walnuts appetizer is for YOU! The original recipe was created by Food Network celebrity Giada De Laurentiis, and I think it is pretty tasty.
I served this appetizer when we had dinner guests this past summer. Toasted baguette slices are topped with creamy gorgonzola cheese and toasted walnuts, then baked and garnished with a fresh ripe fig slice and a drizzle of honey! We noshed on these yummy (and EASY) appetizers, while basking in the all-too rare Pacific Northwest sunshine out on our deck.
The only item that took any time at all to prepare was baking the baguette slices before assembling. I did this by arranging the baguette slices on a baking sheet in a single layer. Using a pastry brush, I lightly basted the baguette slices with the olive oil. Place slices in oven, and bake till baguette slices are a golden color, about 8 minutes.
Once the bread was toasted and crisp, I mixed together the cheese and toasted walnuts, then spread it on the crisp baguette slices, baked them for a few minutes, then topped each piece with a thin slice of fig, then drizzled with honey, and served!
These crostini were a welcome departure from my “normal” go-to appetizers. I would definitely make them again. I sure hope you will give them a try!
Recipe Source: http://www.oprah.com/food/Crostini-with-Gorgonzola-Honey-and-Walnuts
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- 24 - (1/3 inch thick) diagonal slices of baguette
- 6 oz. creamy gorgonzola cheese, coarsely crumbled
- ⅔ cup walnuts, toasted, coarsely chopped
- 1-2 ripe figs, thinly sliced, crosswise (optional)
- 3 TBSP honey
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Arrange the baguette slices on a baking sheet in a single layer. Using a pastry brush, lightly baste the baguette slices with the olive oil. Place slices in oven, and bake till baguette slices are a golden color, about 8 minutes. (You can also toast the slices a day ahead. Cool, then store them at room temperature in a covered container.)
- Toss the gorgonzola, along with the toasted walnuts (that have cooled to room temperature) in a small bowl. Spoon the cheese mixture onto the prepared baguette slices and press slightly to adhere.Return baguette slices to baking sheet. Bake in oven until the cheese melts (about 6-8 minutes).
- Arrange the warm crostini on a platter. Top each slice with a thin slice of fig. Drizzle with the honey and serve warm. Enjoy!