If you like the combination of sweet/salty/crunchy combined with a bit of tangy, then this Crostini With Figs, Gorgonzola, Honey And Walnuts appetizer is for YOU! The original recipe was created by Food Network celebrity Giada De Laurentiis, and I think it is pretty tasty.I served this appetizer when we had dinner guests this past summer. Toasted baguette slices are topped with creamy gorgonzola cheese and toasted walnuts, then baked and garnished with a fresh ripe fig slice and a drizzle of honey! We noshed on these yummy (and EASY) appetizers, while basking in the all-too rare Pacific Northwest sunshine out on our deck.
The only item that took any time at all to prepare was baking the baguette slices before assembling. I did this by arranging the baguette slices on a baking sheet in a single layer. Using a pastry brush, I lightly basted the baguette slices with the olive oil. Place slices in oven, and bake till baguette slices are a golden color, about 8 minutes.
Once the bread was toasted and crisp, I mixed together the cheese and toasted walnuts, then spread it on the crisp baguette slices, baked them for a few minutes, then topped each piece with a thin slice of fig, then drizzled with honey, and served!
These crostini were a welcome departure from my “normal” go-to appetizers. I would definitely make them again. I sure hope you will give them a try!
Recipe Source: http://www.oprah.com/food/Crostini-with-Gorgonzola-Honey-and-Walnuts
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- 24 - (1/3 inch thick) diagonal slices of baguette
- 6 oz. creamy gorgonzola cheese, coarsely crumbled
- ⅔ cup walnuts, toasted, coarsely chopped
- 1-2 ripe figs, thinly sliced, crosswise (optional)
- 3 TBSP honey
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Arrange the baguette slices on a baking sheet in a single layer. Using a pastry brush, lightly baste the baguette slices with the olive oil. Place slices in oven, and bake till baguette slices are a golden color, about 8 minutes. (You can also toast the slices a day ahead. Cool, then store them at room temperature in a covered container.)
- Toss the gorgonzola, along with the toasted walnuts (that have cooled to room temperature) in a small bowl. Spoon the cheese mixture onto the prepared baguette slices and press slightly to adhere.Return baguette slices to baking sheet. Bake in oven until the cheese melts (about 6-8 minutes).
- Arrange the warm crostini on a platter. Top each slice with a thin slice of fig. Drizzle with the honey and serve warm. Enjoy!