If you’re looking for an easy to prepare, yet hearty and flavorful main dish to make for those you love, this Italian Sausage & Potato Casserole might be just for YOU!
The casserole is very simple to prepare (in 3 easy steps!), and features the flavors of Italian sausage, green and red bell peppers, onions, and Italian seasoning. I stumbled upon it online recently, thought it sounded promising, and made it for my husband and I. The recipe as written (below) serves 4. Note: My photos only reflect half of the total amount (I cut recipe in half since we were the only two to eat it!).
Here’s how easy it is to prepare: Oven is preheated to 400 degrees. While it is pre-heating, cook the Italian sausage pieces in 2 teaspoons olive oil, on medium heat, until cooked through (and no longer pink). Once cooked, drain the sausage on paper towel to absorb grease, then add to baking dish.
Drain grease from skillet, then wipe pan with paper towel (do not wash). Heat 2 Tablespoons olive oil in skillet, add potato slices, and cook until they are a light golden brown, and almost tender. You will need to turn the potatoes as they cook to ensure they brown lightly on both sides. Once potatoes are finished cooking, place them on top of the Italian sausage in the baking dish.
Using the same skillet, cook the red pepper, green pepper, and onion slices until they have softened (a few minutes).
Add the cooked veggies on top of the potatoes in the baking dish. Pour chicken stock over veggies, potatoes and sausage.
Sprinkle with Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Stir gently to combine. Cover dish with aluminum foil; bake at 400 degrees for 25 minutes.
When done baking, remove foil, and dish it up while hot! That’s it! This “meat and potatoes” casserole tastes great with a side salad and/or a piece of garlic bread.
I hope you have the opportunity to make this delicious, simple casserole for those you love. Spending time together enjoying a meal is a gift! Have a blessed day!
Recipe Source: http://www.barbbrinker.blogspot.com/2011/01/sausage-potato-casserole.html
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 pound Italian sausage (sweet OR hot), cut into 2 inch pieces
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 4 medium red potatoes, unpeeled (cut in half lengthwise, then into ½ inch slices (half moons)
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded, then roughly chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded, then roughly chopped
- 1 large brown onion, sliced thin
- ½ cup chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Spray a 9x13 baking dish with non-stick spray.
- Heat 2 Teaspoons olive oil on medium heat in a LARGE skillet. Add Italian sausage chunks; cook, stirring occasionally until sausages are cooked through and no longer pink (about 6-8 minutes). Remove sausage to a paper towel to absorb grease, then place in 9x13 baking dish. Drain grease from skillet (but do not wash-just wipe it down with a paper towel before cooking potatoes).
- Add 2 Tablespoons olive oil back into skillet. Turn heat to medium. Add potato slices. Cook potatoes until light golden brown (they will be "almost tender"). You will need to turn the potatoes occasionally as they cook to make sure both sides cook well. When done, remove the potatoes from skillet and place them on top of the sausage in the baking dish.
- In same skillet, cook the red and green peppers, and sliced onion until they soften up and lightly brown (about 3-5 minutes). When done, remove vegetables and place them on top of potatoes in baking dish.
- Pour the chicken stock over the sausage/potato/vegetables in baking dish, then sprinkle with Italian seasoning, salt and black pepper. Stir to combine ingredients. Cover baking dish with aluminum foil.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 25 minutes. Remove from oven, uncover, and dish it up while hot!