Mexican cuisine is my favorite type of food to eat, if given the choice. I really enjoy making tacos, enchiladas, quesadillas, fajitas, tamales, refried beans and Spanish Rice.
For years I bought and cooked a “name brand” version of Spanish Rice to serve alongside our Mexican dinners. Then, a few years ago, I decided to try to make my own version, so I could control what ingredients went into this dish.
I don’t know what took me so long to just make it from scratch, myself! I usually have all the ingredients in my pantry, and I love that I don’t have to purchase a pre-boxed, shelf stable version (with some interesting ingredients) to prepare! AND… I can make it myself, with FRESH ingredients in just about the same time as the box mix! It’s simple. It’s delicious!
Sure hope you’ll give this recipe a try as a filling side dish. I think you will like it, especially with some yummy tacos or enchiladas! Enjoy!
Recipe Source: My brain, and my Mexican food hunger pangs.
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 2 Tablespoons olive or vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup brown onion , finely chopped
- 1/2 cup green pepper , chopped finely
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes (do not drain)
- 1 cup water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cumin
- cilantro for garnish , if desired
- In a medium saucepan, heat the oil on medium-high heat. Add the onions and green pepper. Cook for 4-5 minutes, until onions are softened and translucent.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the pan (except for cilantro). Stir until ingredients are thoroughly combined.
- Bring mixture to a quick boil, then reduce heat to low. Cover pan and cook rice on low simmer for 20-30 minutes, stirring once halfway through cooking time, until liquid has all been absorbed into the rice. Check on the rice at the 20 minute mark. If rice needs more cooking time to absorb more liquid, continue cooking. Keep an eye on it, so that you don't burn the rice.
- When rice is done, place it into serving dish and garnish with cilantro, if desired.
- Serve and enjoy!