Today’s post for Chicken and Asparagus Lemon Stir Fry features one of my favorite veggies… asparagus!
I love the changing of the seasons, and the distinct differences each one proudly displays. We are officially one week into Spring in the great Pacific Northwest…tulips and daffodils are popping up everywhere, the days are getting longer (yay), we’re seeing lots of rain as the weather begins to warm up, and asparagus has begun making it’s Spring appearance on sale at the local grocery store! That’s right…you heard me…In Spring, asparagus goes on sale! I love asparagus year round…but it just seems to TASTE better when it is priced right! ☺
What I also love is finding new recipes, giving them a try, and finding out they are DELICIOUS! Such is the case with this Chicken and Asparagus Lemon Stir Fry. Nice big chunks of chicken breast and crisp-tender asparagus, coated in a light lemon, soy, garlic and ginger sauce make this one delicious dinner…this recipe’s a keeper! I found the recipe online at Skinnytaste.com, a wonderful website where the recipes are low-fat, reflect Weight Watchers points, and are very creative!
This was very easy to make; my husband and I really enjoyed this meal and I will make it again, without hesitation. Hope you will give it a try!
Recipe Source: http://www.skinnytaste.com/2014/03/chicken-and-asparagus-lemon-stir-fry.html
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless , skinless chicken breasts, cut in 1-inch cubes (I used 2 breasts)
- Salt , to taste
- 1/2 cup reduced sodium chicken broth
- 2 Tablespoons soy sauce. Can use Tamari for gluten-free.
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 Tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon canola or grapeseed oil , divided (didn't have them...I used olive oil)
- 1 bunch fresh asparagus , ends trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 6 cloves garlic , chopped
- 1 Tablespoon fresh ginger , finely grated
- 3 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Lightly season the chicken breast cubed pieces with salt. In a small bowl, mix the chicken broth and the soy sauce together and set aside.
- In a second bowl, mix the cornstarch and the water well until mixture is combined. Set bowl aside.
- Heat a large wok or skillet over medium-high heat. Once the wok or skillet is hot, add 1 teaspoon of the oil. Now add the asparagus pieces; cook, stirring often until tender-crisp (this took about 3-4 minutes). Add in the ginger and garlic; cook till golden (only about a minute-don't want to burn the garlic!). Empty the asparagus and garlic/ginger to a plate while you cook the chicken.
- Increase the heat under the wok or skillet to high. Add remaining 2 teaspoons of oil; when hot add the chicken pieces to the pan; cook until browned on all sides and cooked through (this took about 4 minutes for each side). When done, remove the chicken to a plate while you make the sauce.
- Once chicken has been removed from skillet, add the soy sauce mixture to the pan; bring it to a boil (this will be quick), then cook for about 1-1/2 minutes. Add the lemon juice/cornstarch mixture to the skillet and mix well. When it simmers, return the chicken and asparagus to the skillet; stir it into the sauce. Cook until chicken and broccoli are heated through again (only a couple minutes); remove from heat and serve.
- Enjoy! This stir fry tastes great served with brown or white rice on the side.