I received this recipe for a Layered Chicken Enchilada Casserole from my Mom’s best friend over 35 years ago. It is a family favorite meal to this day.
It’s a recipe I have made countless times over the years, and during my 30+ years of heading to work every day, really appreciated how quickly it can be assembled, cooked, and enjoyed!
I love Mexican food, and typically eat enchiladas with the traditional red sauce. However, this recipe has a white sauce, with onions and green chiles, so the very first time I made it years ago, I wasn’t sure I would enjoy it. I was wrong.
This is a hearty casserole that can easily serve 8-10 people. It’s not too spicy, but has a wonderful flavor from the layers of chicken, corn tortillas, green chiles, onions, white sauce, and cheese. It is absolutely delicious (especially the second day, for leftovers!), and is a snap to prepare. Since the baking time is only 30 minutes, I find it easy to prepare early in the day, cover and refrigerate it until I am ready, then slam it (such a nice verbal picture, huh?) in the oven, and enjoy it a short time later.
Hope you will give it a try. It’s EASY and DELICIOUS. I think you will like it!
Original recipe source: Sandy Rohrbacher
- 4 chicken breasts, boiled and cubed (save the broth!)
- 1 pkg. corn tortillas (12)
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 1 small can diced green chiles
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 small brown onion, chopped
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- Melt the tablespoon of butter in large skillet. Add the chopped onion and green chiles. Saute these for 3-4 minutes, or until onion is translucent and tender. Add the chicken broth and the contents of both cans of soup to the skillet. Mix well to combine. Simmer the sauce for 5 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly grease a 9x13 baking dish. Layer the ingredients in this order: 1) 4 tortillas, torn into small pieces, 2) ⅓ of the chicken pieces, 3) ⅓ of the sauce, 4) ⅓ of the grated cheese.
- Repeat the layers 2 more times, ending with the grated cheese.
- Bake casserole, uncovered for 30 minutes or until heated all the way through.
- Remove casserole from oven. Let stand for approximately 5 minutes or so, to enable the cheese to firm up a bit (this will make cutting it and serving it up MUCH easier!)