A dear friend of mine named Sandy gave me this recipe for Cream of Broccoli Soup written on a little index card about 30 years ago. I’ve made this soup many times over the years (and have a completely food-stained index card to prove it!)… it is a delicious, very easy to prepare, inexpensive soup to make (with simple ingredients), and serves 4.
I was privileged to be a bridesmaid in Sandy’s wedding to her wonderful hubby Jeff, and my husband was privileged to be the pastor to officiate the ceremony (it was his first wedding to preside over – such funny memories of that wedding).
My friend’s original instructions called for making this in the microwave oven, but I’ve adapted it slightly over the years and usually make it on my stove top in a soup pot, and add a bit of cheddar cheese, for extra flavor. The soup only takes about 25-30 minutes to prepare, so it’s easy to throw together after a long day.
I sure hope you will give this one a try. I really do think you will enjoy it! It’s EASY and DELICIOUS!
Recipe Source: Sandy Whittaker
- 1 pkg. (10 ounces) frozen broccoli, thawed
- 6 Tablespoons butter (or margarine)
- 1 Tablespoon finely minced brown onion
- 5 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 cups milk
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- Dash of ground nutmeg (optional)
- ½ cup grated cheddar cheese (plus additional for garnish on top of soup, if desired)
- In a soup pot, melt the butter. Add the minced onion, and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the flour; whisk to combine. Cook for an additional minute.
- Add the chicken broth, milk, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Stir ingredients until smooth and thoroughly combined.
- Heat the soup for 5-7 minutes on medium-high until soup begins to thicken slightly. Stir occasionally.
- Add the thawed broccoli to soup.
- Carefully transfer the hot soup to a blender and puree OR puree the ingredients together in the soup pot using an immersion blender.
- Return soup to pan. Add ½ cup grated cheddar cheese. Stir to combine. Heat soup until hot (about 3-4 minutes). Ladle soup into 4 serving bowls.
- Garnish soup with a sprinkle of grated cheddar cheese; Serve, and enjoy!