You will love this simple, yet hearty Beef and Barley Soup, with tender beef chunks, barley, carrots, celery and onions! It will hit the spot on a cold day!We had snow, freezing rain, and below freezing temperatures in Oregon this weekend. Brrr. We were stuck inside waiting for the ice and snow to melt, so I made a large pot of delicious Beef and Barley Soup. A big bowl of hot soup sounded perfect on such icy cold days!
When I was growing up, my Mom occasionally bought cans of a name brand’s Beef and Barley Soup. I always liked it, so it was a natural choice to try making my own. I found the recipe on Pinterest (from blogger and author Gina Homolka at Skinnytaste.com), and loved the SIMPLE ingredients it takes to make it.
The soup cooks on low for a couple hours, which allows the meat to become VERY TENDER. The addition of barley helps make it very filling – the soup tastes delicious… AND only has 336 calories per serving (1½ cups of soup). Interested? Here’s how to make it:
Scroll Down For A Printable Recipe Card At The Bottom Of The Page
How To Make Beef And Barley Soup
Heat oil in a large heavy pot on medium heat. Once oil is hot, add beef, which has been lightly seasoned with salt. Brown the meat on all sides (this will take 3-4 minutes).
Once the meat is browned, drain grease. Add chopped carrots, onion, celery and minced garlic. Stir to combine.
Time To Cook The Soup!
Add water, salt, and a couple of bay leaves to the pot. Stir well, and bring the mixture to a boil. Once it begins to boil, turn the heat down to LOW. Put a cover on the pot. Let the soup simmer on low heat for 1½ to 2 hours (leaving the lid on the pot the entire time).
The long cooking time helps tenderize the beef. While it cooked, I worked on a puzzle, read, played with our dog, did some laundry, and enjoyed it as the amazing smell from the cooking soup began to fill our home.
When the long cook time is done, add dry barley to the soup. Stir well. Taste the broth. Season with ground black pepper. Add additional salt, if needed (to taste). Stir well.
Let the soup simmer on LOW (uncovered) for an additional 35-40 minutes, while the barley cooks. The barley will “plump” a bit as it cooks and will absorb some of the liquid.
Beef And Barley Soup Is Ready To Enjoy!
When done cooking, remember to take out the bay leaves, then ladle some of this delicious beef barley soup into individual bowls. If you want, garnish each bowl of soup with a bit of dried or fresh chopped parsley, and serve!
Hope you enjoy this simple, yet hearty and filling beef barley soup. My husband and I sure enjoyed it, served with a slice of crusty sourdough bread. I’m looking forward to the leftovers for lunch today! The beef was incredibly tender, and the taste was wonderful. Best of all, it was a very simple soup to prepare!
Have a great day! The last report I heard on the news yesterday said that 47 of the 48 mainland states have snow in one part of them or another. That’s a whole lot of COLD WEATHER! Stay warm, make a big pot of hot beef and barley soup… and enjoy your day!
Looking For More SOUP Recipes?
You can find all of my recipes in the Recipe Index, which is located at the top of the page. I have LOTS of delicious soup recipes I’m confident you will enjoy, including:
- Moroccan Meatball Couscous Soup
- Italian Orzo And Spinach Soup
- Creamy Tomato Basil Soup
- Southwestern Chicken Soup
Interested In More Recipes?
Thank you for visiting this website. I appreciate you using some of your valuable time to do so. If you’re interested, I publish a newsletter 2 times per month (1st and 15th) with all the latest recipes, and other fun info. I would be honored to have you join our growing list of subscribers, so you never miss a great recipe!
There is a Newsletter subscription box on the top right side (or bottom) of each blog post, depending on the device you use, where you can easily submit your e-mail address (only) to be included in my mailing list.
You Can Also Find Me On Social Media:
Facebook page: The Grateful Girl Cooks!
Pinterest: The Grateful Girl Cooks!
Recipe Source: http://www.skinnytaste.com/beef-barley-soup/
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1½ pounds beef round stew meat (1-2 inch pieces)
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 6 cups water
- 1-2 teaspoons salt (season to taste)
- 2 bay leaves (in spice section-added for seasoning)
- 2/3 cup dry barley
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground black pepper (approx. 1/2 teaspoon)
- Additional salt , to taste
- Dried parsley (for garnish-optional)
- Heat oil in a large heavy pot on medium heat. Once oil is hot, add beef, which has been lightly seasoned with salt. Brown meat on all sides (this will take 3-4 minutes). Drain grease from pan.
- Add chopped carrots, onion, celery and minced garlic. Stir to combine.
- Add water, salt, and a couple of bay leaves to the pot. Stir well. Bring the mixture to a boil. Once it begins to boil, turn the heat down to Low. Put a cover on the pot. Let the soup simmer on low heat for 1½ to 2 hours. The long cooking time helps to tenderize the beef. Meat should be tender when done.
- Add barley. Stir to combine. Season with ground black pepper. Taste the soup. Add additional salt, if needed. Let soup simmer on low (uncovered) an additional 35-40 minutes, while the barley cooks.
- When done cooking, remember to take out the bay leaves (!!!), then ladle some of this delicious soup into individual bowls, garnish with a bit of dried parsley, and serve!
Here’s one more to pin on your Pinterest boards!