Last night I made Smashed Potatoes with Mushrooms and Shallots as a side dish with our dinner. Wow! Think I’ve found another delicious side dish!
My husband and I enjoyed them very much! I knew I wanted to serve red potatoes on the side, and knew I didn’t want “regular” mashed potatoes. I wanted to jazz them up a bit, so I ended up making these potatoes without a recipe by using ingredients I already had in my kitchen that I knew would taste wonderful added to red potatoes! And they did taste great! Yum!
Sauteed shallots, chopped mushrooms, butter, parsley, milk, salt, pepper, and a bit of garlic give these red potatoes an extra burst of flavor! The cooked red potatoes are lightly smashed, (rather than mashed until smooth and creamy) for extra texture.
These potatoes were a perfect side dish to our pork tenderloin dinner (Pork Tenderloin with Cranberry-Raspberry Sauce). Easy to prepare, and delicious!
Hope you will give these smashed potatoes a try. I really do think you will enjoy serving and eating them… they would be great as a side dish with pork, beef or chicken.
- 4 medium sized red potatoes
- 1 teaspoon garlic , minced
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1/3 cup shallots , finely chopped
- 4-5 button mushrooms , chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried parsley
- 2 Tablespoons milk
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- Salt and Pepper , to taste
- Additional dried parsley (for garnish, if desired)
- Wash the potatoes. Do not peel. Cut the potatoes into medium sized chunks. Place potatoes into medium sauce pan and cover with water. Add minced garlic to pan. Cook on medium high heat for approximately 30 minutes, or until potatoes become tender (test by inserting knife point into potato).
- While potatoes are cooking, melt one teaspoon of butter in a skillet. Add the chopped shallots, chopped mushrooms, garlic powder, and dried parsley. Cook approximately 4-5 minutes, until mushrooms and shallots have cooked through and have softened.
- When potatoes have finished cooking, drain water. Add the sauteed shallot/mushroom mixture to the potatoes. Add milk and butter; lightly smash all ingredients together with a potato masher or a fork until ingredients are combined. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add additional milk, if desired.
- Place smashed potatoes in a serving bowl, and garnish with additional parsley, if desired.
- Serve, and enjoy!