I love to bake cakes and cupcakes…this is hands down my favorite chocolate buttercream frosting! I call it Mom’s Chocolate Buttercream Frosting, and it is creamy and delicious!
When I was growing up, one of our family’s favorite desserts was when my Mom would go into our kitchen after dinner and whip up a “from scratch” chocolate cake and cover it with a creamy chocolate frosting. Well, this is her recipe for the frosting. I’ve used it over the years when I need a quick chocolate frosting to cover a cake or cupcakes and don’t want to make a trip to the store just to buy a commercially prepared tub of it.
It’s always so much more tasty and inexpensive when you make it yourself with a few common ingredients. The recipe makes enough to cover a bunch of cupcakes, a 13×9 sheetcake, or a two layer cake. It is full of chocolate flavor, very creamy and delicious! Hope you enjoy it!
Recipe Source: My Mom
- ¾ cube butter
- 4 Tablespoons cocoa powder
- Dash of salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ to ¾ box of powdered sugar (a 16 oz. box)
- ¼ to ½ cup milk
- Place butter in a small saucepan over low heat and heat until melted. Remove pan from heat.
- Add cocoa powder to melted butter and mix until combined.
- Add salt, vanilla, and milk; mix well.
- Slowly add the powdered sugar; beat until thoroughly combined..
- If the frosting is too thin for your liking, add additional powdered sugar (a little at a time). If frosting is too thick, add a little bit of milk (a little at a time).
- Frost cake or cupcakes and enjoy!