If you’re looking for a delicious twist on an ordinary breakfast waffle that takes it from “good” to “great”, how about making a Banana Nut Waffle? By simply adding a few common ingredients to the batter and the top of a “regular” waffle makes it taste like you’re eating a warm piece of Banana Nut Bread. It’s incredibly delicious!
It’s so easy to “morph” a simple homemade waffle into something extraordinary. Mix up your favorite waffle batter (homemade or store-bought mix). For each waffle, add a half of a banana (chopped into small pieces), and 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon to the batter. Stir to combine.
Add 2 Tablespoons of chopped pecans and 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract to walnuts to the batter. Mix it all together, and pour batter into an oiled, preheated waffle iron; cook it until done and crispy (about 3 1/2 minutes)!
Once waffle is done, place it on serving plate; add maple syrup (and butter, if desired), then top with other half of banana (chopped), and additional pecans for garnish (especially tasty if these pecans are lightly toasted in a dry skillet for 3-4 minutes before adding to waffle). Repeat process for each additional waffle; serve and enjoy!
Just by adding a couple simple fresh ingredients to the batter and the cooked waffle, you’ll end up with a “gourmet” tasting waffle, similar to what some well-known restaurants serve… but for a fraction of the price!!! Why not treat yourself to a decadent breakfast every now and then? Sure hope you’ll give it a try!
Make a plain waffle taste like a gourmet waffle by adding some common ingredients, like bananas, pecans and cinnamon!
- Waffle Mix
- 1 Banana , cut into small pieces, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 Tablespoons chopped pecans , divided
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Maple syrup (as desired-not included in calories)
- Prepare waffle batter per package instructions and oil and preheat waffle iron.
- Add 1/2 of the chopped banana and cinnamon to the waffle batter. Stir to combine.
- Stir in 2 Tablespoons (half) of the chopped pecans, and the vanilla extract. Stir to combine.
- Cook waffle according to instructions for your waffle iron (usually about 3 -4 minutes)
- When waffle is fully cooked, remove to serving plate.
Add maple syrup (and butter, if desired). Top waffle with remaining 1/2 of chopped banana and the remaining 2 Tablespoons of chopped pecans. (see note on dry toasting these pecans). Serve, and enjoy!
The quantity listed for ingredients in recipe are for EACH large waffle. Amount of waffle mix/quantity of waffles used/made is up to you.
*The pecans for the top of the waffles taste great toasted (optional). To do this, put the chopped pecans in a dry skillet, and cook on medium-low, stirring occasionally for 3-4 minutes or until lightly toasted and aromatic.
Here’s one more to pin on your Pinterest boards!