Fantastic tasting honey BBQ chicken strips are marinated, seasoned & browned chicken breast tenders, covered with a sweet/sticky honey BBQ sauce and baked.
My husband and I really enjoyed a new (to us) recipe for Honey BBQ Chicken Strips that I made recently. Sweet and slightly sticky from a Honey/BBQ sauce, these nicely seasoned, browned, then baked chicken strips were fantastic!
Best part? The honey bbq chicken strips were full of flavor… and didn’t take too much time to make! NOTE: I only made a HALF recipe since only two of us were eating, so that is reflected in my photos.
Scroll Down For A Printable Recipe Card At The Bottom Of the Page
How To Make Honey BBQ Chicken Strips
Cut boneless skinless chicken breasts into strips. Season the chicken strips with salt and pepper. Place the chicken in a medium sized bowl, cover with 2 cups of buttermilk, and stir to fully coat the chicken pieces.
Cover the bowl with plastic wrap, and refrigerate/marinate chicken for at least 2 hours. When chicken is nearly done marinating, preheat oven to 350 degrees and prep the remaining ingredients.
Make The Coating For Chicken and Mix The BBQ Sauce
- Mix together 2 cups buttermilk and hot sauce in a small bowl. Set the bowl aside.
- Stir together flour, salt, pepper, garlic powder and paprika in a second bowl. Set the bowl aside.
- Mix together the BBQ sauce, honey and apple cider vinegar in a third bowl. Set the bowl aside.
Prepare The Chicken Strips For Cooking
Once the chicken is done marinating, remove the chicken strips from the buttermilk and let excess buttermilk drip back into bowl. Dip and fully cover the chicken strips (one at a time) in:
- FLOUR MIXTURE (shake off excess), then
- BUTTERMILK MIXTURE (letting excess drip off), then
- Back in to the FLOUR MIXTURE. Set all the coated pieces of chicken on a large plate or platter until all pieces are finished being coated. It’s a tad messy, but keep going… it will be worth it!
Cook The Chicken Strips
Heat vegetable oil in large skillet. Heat oil to 350-360 degrees (use a thermometer if you have one). Once the oil is at the correct temperature and is really hot, gently place the chicken strips in the oil. Cook in batches, if necessary.
Fry the chicken strips until they are golden brown, and then flip them over and cook the other side. Once both sides are golden brown, remove to wire rack or paper towels. The chicken will be baked after this step, so strips don’t have to be fully cooked through.
Bake The Honey BBQ Chicken Strips
Using a pastry brush, cover the chicken strips with the BBQ/Honey mixture on both sides. Place the coated strips onto parchment paper lined baking sheet. Bake the honey bbq chicken strips at 350 degrees for 20 minutes, until fully cooked.
Time To Serve Honey BBQ Chicken Strips
When done, remove the chicken strips from the oven. Sprinkle each of the pieces with sesame seeds and/or parsley (fresh or dried) for a garnish (optional). Serve the honey bbq chicken strips while hot… and enjoy!
I served the honey bbq chicken strips for our dinner, with a small salad and rice on the side. The strips would also be a great “snack/appetizer” treat for munching on while watching football or a great game on TV with a friends or family! These delicious pieces of chicken have great flavor, and the sticky sweet BBQ sauce makes them “lip-smacking delicious”!
I sure hope you will consider making these delicious honey bbq chicken strips. I am thankful to have found the recipe from Trish, at “Mom On Time Out”. It’s a “keeper”. Have a blessed day!
Looking For More CHICKEN Recipes?
You can find all my recipes in the Recipe Index, located at the top of the page. I have LOTS of chicken recipes, including:
Interested In More Recipes?
Thank you for visiting this website. I appreciate you using some of your valuable time to do so. If you’re interested, I publish a newsletter 2 times per month (1st and 15th) with all the latest recipes, and other fun info. I would be honored to have you join our growing list of subscribers, so you never miss a great recipe!
There is a Newsletter subscription box on the top right side (or bottom) of each blog post, depending on the device you use, where you can easily submit your e-mail address (only) to be included in my mailing list.
You Can Also Find Me On Social Media:
Facebook page: The Grateful Girl Cooks!
Pinterest: The Grateful Girl Cooks!
Recipe Source: http://www.momontimeout.com/2015/08/honey-bbq-chicken-strips-recipe/
- 2 pounds chicken tenders or boneless chicken breasts , cut into long strips)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Vegetable oil (for frying... at least 1 inch deep)
- 4 cups buttermilk (divided)
- 1 Tablespoon hot sauce
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- Sesame seeds/parsley (Optional, for garnish)
- Season chicken strips with salt and pepper. Place in a medium sized bowl, cover with 2 cups of buttermilk, and stir to fully coat chicken pieces. Cover bowl, and refrigerate/marinate chicken for at least 2 hours. When chicken is nearly done marinating, preheat oven to 350 degrees and prep the remaining ingredients.
- In medium bowl, mix together 2 cups buttermilk and hot sauce. Set aside.
- In small bowl, stir together flour, salt, pepper, garlic powder and paprika. Set aside.
- In shallow bowl, mix together BBQ sauce, honey and apple cider vinegar. Set aside.
- When chicken is done marinating, remove strips from buttermilk and let excess drip off. Place chicken strips (coating one at a time) in FLOUR MIXTURE, then BUTTERMILK MIXTURE, then put back in FLOUR MIXTURE to coat. I set all the coated pieces on a large platter until all were coated.
Heat vegetable oil in large skillet. Heat oil to 350-360 degrees (use a thermometer if you have one). Once the oil is at the correct temperature and is really hot, gently place the chicken strips in the oil. Fry until golden brown; flip over and cook other side. Cook in batches, if necessary. Once both sides are golden brown, remove to wire rack or paper towels (chicken will be baked, so strips don't have to be fully cooked through).
- Using a pastry brush, cover the chicken strips with the BBQ/Honey mixture on both sides. Place the coated strips onto parchment paper lined baking sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes, until fully cooked. When done, remove from oven, sprinkle with sesame seeds and/or dried parsley for a garnish (optional). Serve and enjoy!
Here’s one more to pin on your Pinterest boards!