Oh my goodness! I recently found a FANTASTIC recipe for Asian Lemon Chicken Strips on Pinterest, and had to share it with you! Don’t they look scrumptious???? I made these for my husband and I last night for dinner, and they were fantastic.
WOW, WOW, WOW!! They are absolutely lip-smackin’ delicious! To quote my husband: “Wow, these really look and taste like something you’d order at a Chinese restaurant”.
The recipe itself is pretty straightforward. Directions are easy to follow and can be prepared (4 servings) in as little as 40 minutes! Crispy chicken strips coated in a sweet, sticky, lemon glaze… yet not too lemony, not too sticky, not too sweet. How can you go wrong? And did I mention just how delicious they are (repeat as needed)???? No, seriously…you need to make these. You won’t be sorry!
Here’s how easy they are to prepare: I used 3 large chicken breasts and cut them in long strips. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Dredge chicken strips into flour to coat, then dip into buttermilk, then back into the flour to coat. Set aside.
Make up the sauce mixture and heat it in saucepan while you are cooking the chicken strips…
Cook the chicken strips in hot oil until lightly browned on all sides and cooked through.
Drain the cooked chicken strips on paper towels…
Transfer the hot, thickened sauce to a skillet, then add the strips, one at a time. Gently turn to coat with sauce on all sides. Use a spoon and tongs to fully coat chicken pieces.
Removed coated chicken strips to serving dish, garnished with toasted sesame seeds and some chopped green onion, and VOILA! Time to eat!
I really hope you will give this easy-to-prepare delicious recipe a try…I think you’re gonna LOVE it!
Recipe Source: http://damndelicious.net/2014/02/15/asian-lemon-chicken-tenders/
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut lengthwise into strips
- Salt and pepper, to season
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ½ cup honey
- ⅓ cup soy sauce
- ¼ cup pineapple juice
- ¼ cup brown sugar, packed
- Juice of one lemon (I added the zest from the lemon to the sauce, also)
- 2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds
- 1 sliced green onion (green stem only)
- Place all the sauce ingredients in a saucepan. Stir to combine. Heat on medium; bring sauce to a rolling boil, then reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally. The mixture will slightly thicken. Cook the sauce while cooking the chicken strips.
- Season the chicken strips with salt and pepper. Dredge the chicken strips, (one at a time) in flour to completely cover. then dip the strip into buttermilk to cover. Let the excess buttermilk drip off, then dredge the chicken strip in the flour again, making sure the flour fully coats the chicken. Set strips aside on a baking sheet, and continue with the remaining strips.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet until very hot (but not smoking). Once the oil is hot, add the chicken strips to the skillet. You may have to cook 3-4 at a time due to space limitations. Cook, then turn chicken after a few minutes on each side, to ensure all sides are golden brown. Once the chicken is golden brown and fully cooked, transfer the chicken strips to paper towels to drain. Continue with rest of chicken until done.
- Transfer the sauce into a clean skillet. Carefully (using tongs) place chicken strips (one at a time) into the hot sauce, turning gently to coat all sides. Remove chicken to serving dish. Repeat with next chicken strip. When all chicken strips are done, sprinkle tops with toasted sesame seeds and sliced green onion stems. Serve immediately, and enjoy!
Here’s one more to pin on your Pinterest boards!