This simple, hearty, baked Italian Sausage Potato Casserole, with sausage, potatoes, red and green peppers, onions, and Italian spices is delicious!
If you’re looking for an easy to prepare, yet hearty and flavorful main dish to make for those you love, this Italian Sausage Potato Casserole might be just for YOU!
The Italian sausage potato casserole is very simple to prepare (3 easy steps!), and features the flavors of Italian sausage, green and red bell peppers, onions, and Italian seasonings. I stumbled upon it online recently, thought it sounded promising, and made it for my husband and I.
The recipe as written (below in printable recipe card) serves 4. Note: My photos only reflect half of the total amount (I cut recipe in half since we were the only two to eat it!).
How To Make This Italian Sausage Potato Casserole
Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. While it is pre-heating, cook the Italian sausage pieces in 2 teaspoons olive oil, on medium heat, until cooked through (and no longer pink).
Once fully cooked, drain the sausage on paper towel to absorb the grease, and then place them in a baking dish.
Cook The Potatoes In The Same Skillet
Drain grease from skillet, then wipe pan with paper towel (do not wash). Heat 2 Tablespoons olive oil in skillet, add potato slices, and cook until they are a light golden brown, and almost tender.
You will need to turn the potatoes as they cook to ensure they brown lightly on both sides. Once potatoes are finished cooking, place them on top of the Italian sausage in the baking dish.
Cook the Vegetables In The Same Skillet
Using the same skillet, cook the red pepper, green pepper, and onion slices until they have softened (a few minutes).
Assemble The Italian Sausage Potato Casserole
Add the cooked veggies on top of the potatoes in the baking dish. Pour chicken stock over the veggies, potatoes and sausage.
Sprinkle with Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Stir the casserole ingredients gently to combine.
Bake The Italian Sausage Potato Casserole
Cover the Italian sausage potato casserole dish with aluminum foil. Bake the casserole at 400 degrees, for 25 minutes.
When done baking, remove foil, and dish the casserole up while it’s hot! That’s it! This “meat and potatoes” casserole tastes great with a side salad and/or a piece of garlic bread.
I hope you have the opportunity to make this delicious, simple Italian sausage potato casserole for those you love. Spending time together enjoying a meal is a gift! Have a blessed day!
Looking For More CASSEROLE Recipes?
You can find all of my casserole recipes in the Recipe Index, located at the top of the page. A few of our family favorites include:
Interested In More Recipes?
Thank you for visiting this website. I appreciate you using some of your valuable time to do so. If you’re interested, I publish a newsletter 2 times per month (1st and 15th) with all the latest recipes, and other fun info. I would be honored to have you join our growing list of subscribers, so you never miss a great recipe!
There is a Newsletter subscription box on the top right side (or bottom) of each blog post, depending on the device you use, where you can easily submit your e-mail address (only) to be included in my mailing list.
You Can Also Find Me On Social Media:
Facebook page: The Grateful Girl Cooks!
Pinterest: The Grateful Girl Cooks!
Recipe Source: www.barbbrinker.blogspot.com/2011/01/sausage-potato-casserole.html
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 pound Italian sausage (sweet OR hot), cut into 2 inch pieces
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 4 medium red potatoes , unpeeled (cut in half lengthwise, then into 1/2 inch slices (half moons)
- 1 green bell pepper , seeded, then roughly chopped
- 1 red bell pepper , seeded, then roughly chopped
- 1 large brown onion , sliced thin
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Spray a 9x13 baking dish with non-stick spray.
- Heat 2 Teaspoons olive oil on medium heat in a LARGE skillet. Add Italian sausage chunks; cook, stirring occasionally until sausages are cooked through and no longer pink (about 6-8 minutes). Remove sausage to a paper towel to absorb grease, then place in 9x13 baking dish. Drain grease from skillet (but do not wash-just wipe it down with a paper towel before cooking potatoes).
- Add 2 Tablespoons olive oil back into skillet. Turn heat to medium. Add potato slices. Cook potatoes until light golden brown (they will be "almost tender"). You will need to turn the potatoes occasionally as they cook to make sure both sides cook well. When done, remove the potatoes from skillet and place them on top of the sausage in the baking dish.
- In same skillet, cook the red and green peppers, and sliced onion until they soften up and lightly brown (about 3-5 minutes). When done, remove vegetables and place them on top of potatoes in baking dish.
- Pour the chicken stock over the sausage/potato/vegetables in baking dish, then sprinkle with Italian seasoning, salt and black pepper. Stir to combine ingredients. Cover baking dish with aluminum foil.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 25 minutes. Remove from oven, uncover, and dish it up while hot!
Because I was only cooking for two, I cut the recipe in half. I DID, however, leave the amount of chicken stock exactly the amount as written (1/2 cup). For all other ingredients I cut the quantity in half, and casserole was cooked in a smaller baking dish.
Here’s one more to pin on your Pinterest boards!