Sticky orange chicken is pan-seared chicken breasts, cooked in an orange marmalade, chicken stock, and rosemary herb based sweet and sticky sauce!
Good morning! It’s going to be a great day in the Pacific Northwest. We’re headed into several days in a row of warm, sunny weather for Memorial Day weekend. With temps in the mid 70’s and higher, it could even get to be warm and “sticky” outside. Yes- that is my horrible line to transition over to this wonderful dinner I made last night called “Sticky Orange Chicken”.
Scroll Down For A Printable Recipe Card At The Bottom Of The Page
About This Dish
I found this recipe from Rachael Ray (celebrity cook) on Pinterest a while back, but finally took the opportunity to make it last evening. This sticky orange chicken was so easy to make, and it really has a great fresh flavor!
Lots of flavor is there, thanks in part to the orange marmalade sauce, which is infused with extra flavor from chicken stock, fresh rosemary and thyme. YUM! The whole dish took under 30 minutes to prepare, from start to finish, and was absolutely delicious! This would be a great meal to fix, at the end of a long and busy day!
Note: The recipe as written serves 4. My pictures only show 2 pieces of chicken. I only prepared 2 chicken breasts for my husband and myself, but kept the original quantity of sauce (just a little Public Service Announcement).
How To Make Sticky Orange Chicken
Here’s what you do to make this simple dish… first, gather the ingredients together. I’m fortunate enough to make my own orange marmalade, so that was easy!
I also grow rosemary and thyme in my garden, so gathering this part of the recipe was a cinch! Some apple cider vinegar, salt, and chicken stock from our pantry finished out the pile of ingredients.
Cook The Chicken Breasts
Heat olive oil in a skillet until very hot, but not smoking. Lightly salt the chicken, then add the chicken breasts to the hot skillet. The chicken breasts should sizzle as you put them into the hot skillet. Let them sear, untouched, for 5 minutes, then turn them to the other side and cook for another 5 minutes. The chicken breasts are cooked for 10 minutes total.
Once the chicken is seared and browned on BOTH sides, transfer the chicken to a plate, and keep them warm.
Make The Sauce For The Sticky Orange Chicken
Pour the apple cider vinegar into the hot skillet to de-glaze the pan. Add the orange marmalade, chicken stock, fresh chopped rosemary and thyme, and stir to combine.
Whisk the sticky orange chicken sauce together and continue cooking it for 2-3 minutes. The sauce will begin to thicken up just a bit as it cooks.
Add The Chicken Back Into The Sticky Orange Sauce
Once the sauce has thickened, add the chicken breasts back into the sauce. Continue to cook the chicken in the sauce for 5-6 additional minutes. While it cooks, spoon the sauce over the top of the chicken often.
Serve The Sticky Orange Chicken
Once the chicken is done cooking, remove it from the skillet and transfer the breasts to individual serving plates. Spoon a little of the sauce over the top of each chicken breast for even more great flavor. I served the sticky orange chicken with a side of rice, and some easy, steamed broccoli.
I sure hope you will give this recipe for sticky orange chicken a try. The recipe is really EASY, QUICK, and YUMMY! Have a great day!
Looking For More CHICKEN Recipes?
You can find all of my chicken recipes in the Recipe Index, located at the top of the page. I have a LOT of chicken recipes you will enjoy, including:
- Chicken Cutlets with Pecan Sauce
- Easy Chicken Jalapeño
- Crispy Buttermilk Fried Chicken
- Easy Cashew Chicken
Interested In More Recipes?
Thank you for visiting this website. I appreciate you using some of your valuable time to do so. If you’re interested, I publish a newsletter 2 times per month (1st and 15th) with all the latest recipes, and other fun info. I would be honored to have you join our growing list of subscribers, so you never miss a great recipe!
There is a Newsletter subscription box on the top right side (or bottom) of each blog post, depending on the device you use, where you can easily submit your e-mail address (only) to be included in my mailing list.
You Can Also Find Me On Social Media:
Facebook page: The Grateful Girl Cooks!
Pinterest: The Grateful Girl Cooks!
Recipe Source: http://www.rachaelrayshow.com/recipe/14441_Sticky_Orange_Chicken_with_Herbs_and_Sweet_Potatoes_with_Cider/
- 2 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 4 boneless , skinless chicken breasts
- Salt (just a pinch, to season each chicken breast lightly)
- 2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup (heaping) orange marmalade
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 Tablespoon fresh rosemary leaves , finely chopped
- 2 Tablespoons fresh thyme leaves , finely chopped
- Coat a stainless steel skillet with the olive oil. Heat until very hot.
- Lightly sprinkle each chicken breast with a tiny bit of salt. Add the chicken breasts to hot skillet. You should hear the oil sizzle when you add the chicken. Sear the chicken breasts, without moving them, for 5 minutes. Turn chicken over and continue to cook for 5 more minutes. Chicken should be golden brown on BOTH sides. When cooking time (total of 10 minutes) is done, remove chicken to a plate. Set aside.
- Add the apple cider vinegar back into the skillet and de-glaze the pan.
- Add the orange marmalade, chicken stock, chopped rosemary and thyme. Whisk these together to combine. Continue cooking on medium heat for 2-3 minutes. The sauce will slightly thicken just a bit.
- Add the chicken breasts back into the sauce in the skillet. Continue to cook for 5-6 more minutes, spooning the sauce over the tops of each chicken breasts continuously, as they cook. Once chicken is done, remove chicken breasts to serving platter or individual plates. Spoon some of the sauce over each chicken breast.
- Serve with a side of rice or potatoes, and a veggie... and ENJOY!
Here’s one more to pin on your Pinterest boards!