Summer is just around the corner… I’m ready for warm days, sitting out on the back deck in the evenings by the firepit, BBQs with friends… and HOMEMADE STRAWBERRY ICE CREAM!
I grew up in hot and sunny Southern California, where making homemade ice cream was practically an art form in our family. My parents loved to make homemade ice cream, and my mom had several favorite recipes she would make, during the heat of the summer. I can still picture my Dad sitting on top of newspapers and bath towels on top of the old crank-style ice cream maker, to help keep the ice cream cold (while it firmed up) after freezing. Such great memories! Nowadays (in the often rainy Pacific Northwest), I pull out my indoor electric ice cream maker (no salt or ice necessary), and whip up a batch of homemade ice cream in about 20 minutes! Such was the case with this homemade strawberry ice cream!
My husband bought a flat of local strawberries at a roadside stands recently, and asked me if I could make homemade strawberry ice cream with some of them. I don’t make strawberry ice cream too often, but I tried it anyways. Let me tell you… it was DELICIOUS!
First, I cleaned, de-stemmed and sliced those gorgeous strawberries. I added 1 Tablespoon granulated sugar, and let them sit for about 15 minutes. Once softened up, I lightly mashed them with a potato masher to break them up a bit.
I whisked the ice cream mixture together (whipping cream, milk, sugar, and vanilla) until sugar was dissolved, then added the strawberries (and their juice).
I stirred to combine, then added to the canister of my ice cream machine, and processed it for 20 minutes.
I put the ice cream in a covered container and let it firm up for a couple hours in the freezer. When we were ready to eat it, I scooped it up, and added some more sliced strawberries to the top. Fantastic! This recipe makes 1 1/2 quarts, so remember to double it, if you are using a standard-sized ice cream maker.
Bring on summer… Bring on homemade ice cream! It’s a wonderful summertime treat! (who am I kidding here – ice cream is good ANY old time of the year, right?) Enjoy this delicious, creamy dessert!
Hope you have a wonderful day… may God bless you.
Recipe Source: Krups Ice Cream and Sorbet Maker Handbook (for vanilla base)
- 1½ cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 1 Tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup milk
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- Combine strawberries and 1 Tablespoon granulated sugar in medium bowl. Mash with a potato masher to break up the strawberries a bit. Let sit for about 15 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the whipping cream, milk, granulated sugar and vanilla extract until sugar has dissolved.
- Add strawberries to ice cream mixture. Stir well to combine. Pour into canister of ice cream maker, and freeze according to manufacturer's instructions.
- When done, remove ice cream to a freezable covered container. Place in freezer to firm up, for about 2 hours.
- Serve, and enjoy!