By the time our lettuce beds are fully mature, my husband and I are eating salads with just about every meal, and I am giving away salad greens to our sons, neighbors and friends by the bagful (I feel so blessed to have “more than enough”, and like to share).
|Lettuce Beds, Spring 2013|
I found a recipe in one of my old “Taste of Home” magazines for an Orange Juice Vinaigrette and it piqued my interest; I played around with the recipe just a bit and came up with this delicious salad and dressing. Basically you can use any types of spring lettuces available (romaine, iceberg, red leaf, bibb, etc.) and make a salad with them.
For this particular salad, to pair it with a citrus based salad dressing I added crumbled feta cheese, red onions, dried cranberries, and sliced almonds to the chilled salad greens, to kick it up a notch! Then I topped it all with beautiful juicy orange slices, and drizzled an amazing tasting citrus vinaigrette over the salad, to serve!
The dressing is an easy to make “light and fresh” tasting vinaigrette; the orange flavor shines and compliments just about any green salad nicely! Making it is as simple as whisking the ingredients together… easy peasy!
This really is a refreshing and delicious salad, and we enjoyed it VERY much! Hope you will give it a try!
Recipe adapted from: Kristin Bataille, Taste of Home Magazine, Feb/March 2012 Issue
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons fresh squeezed orange juice
- 1 Tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon orange zest (approx.amount from 1 orange)
- dash salt
- dash pepper
- 4 cups fresh spring greens (I used mixed variety and romaine)
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- sliced red onion (to taste-I use 2 thin slices, chopped into smaller pieces)
- 10-15 roasted almonds , sliced lengthwise
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1 small orange (cut from top to bottom all around the outside to remove peel and white "pith" completely). Once peeled, slice horizontally
- Make vinaigrette: In a small bowl, whisk together the vinaigrette ingredients until fully blended. If making vinaigrette ahead of serving time, cover and chill until ready to use.
- Place chilled salad greens in serving bowl.
- Sprinkle salad greens with feta, red onion, sliced almonds,cranberries and top with orange slices. When ready to serve, whisk the vinaigrette well to mix, then drizzle over salad, and toss to coat. Enjoy!
Here’s one more to pin on your Pinterest boards!