You’re gonna LOVE this classic BLT wedge salad with bacon, iceberg lettuce, crumbled blue cheese, and chopped tomatoes, topped with a thick, creamy, homemade blue cheese dressing!My husband LOVES wedge salads. I think they are his favorite salad. Ever. When we have the opportunity to eat “out”, he will almost always order a wedge salad if it’s on the menu, to go with his meal. I, on the other hand, have NEVER ordered a wedge salad OR made a BLT wedge salad for that matter… until now.
My husband had hinted around that “we” should try making one at home (you know, the proverbial “we”). I wasn’t convinced I would even like it, but because I love my guy so much, I hunted around for recipes. The one I decided on is similar to the wedge salads on the menu at Morton’s – The Steak House. He LOVES those!
So… I made a couple little tweaks in the recipe, and fixed us a BLT Wedge Salad last week with our dinner. And guess what? We BOTH loved it! Who knew that a really cold quarter head of lettuce, covered with a delicious homemade dressing, chopped tomatoes, crisp bacon crumbles and chunks of blue cheese could be so good? We liked the salad and dressing so much that the following evening all we had for dinner was another BLT Wedge Salad! Nothing else… just the salad! (Can you tell we liked it?)
Scroll Down For A Printable Recipe Card At The Bottom Of The Page
How To Make The Dressing For A BLT Wedge Salad
First you make the salad dressing by whisking together mayonnaise and sour cream. Then buttermilk , seasoning salt, Worcestershire sauce, minced garlic, and black pepper is added.
Gently fold in the crumbled blue cheese. Once blue cheese is folded in, salad dressing is covered and refrigerated for several hours, for the flavors to fully develop.
Prepare The Rest Of The Ingredients For The Salad
Chop and de-seed (as much as possible) 1-2 large Roma tomatoes.
Cook the bacon pieces until very crisp. I like to cut up the bacon using kitchen shears before cooking, because it helps it to cook faster.
Once the bacon is fully cooked and crisp, remove it from the skillet. Drain it on paper towels, and set aside.
Serve The BLT Wedge Salad
Make sure the iceberg lettuce is really cold. When ready to serve, take the core of the lettuce head out by holding the lettuce firmly and smacking the core (on the bottom) onto the kitchen counter. The core should be easy to remove after this. Cut the lettuce head, from top to bottom in half, then cut each half again.
To serve, place one entire lettuce wedge onto serving plate, drizzle with salad dressing, then top with chopped tomatoes, crumbled blue cheese and bacon crumbles.
Enjoy the crunch as you cut through the chilled lettuce wedge!
I really hope you try and enjoy this restaurant style BLT Wedge Salad. It’s cold, crisp, and DELICIOUS! Have a wonderful day, friends, and come back again soon.
Looking For More SALAD Recipes?
You can find all of my recipes in the Recipe Index, located at the top of the page. I have LOTS of delicious salad recipes, including:
- Rainbow Jello Salad
- Thanksgiving Salad
- Joy’s Spinach Salad
- Beet & Goat Cheese Salad (with citrus dressing)
Interested In More Recipes?
Thank you for visiting this website. I appreciate you using some of your valuable time to do so. If you’re interested, I publish a newsletter 2 times per month (1st and 15th) with all the latest recipes, and other fun info. I would be honored to have you join our growing list of subscribers, so you never miss a great recipe!
There is a Newsletter subscription box on the top right side (or bottom) of each blog post, depending on the device you use, where you can easily submit your e-mail address (only) to be included in my mailing list.
You Can Also Find Me On Social Media:
Facebook page: The Grateful Girl Cooks!
Pinterest: The Grateful Girl Cooks!
Have a GREAT day!
Recipe Adapted From: http://pattycakescooking.blogspot.com.au/2012/01/mortons-steak-house-iceberg-blue-cheese.html
↓↓ PRINTABLE RECIPE BELOW ↓↓
Classic wedge salad with bacon, iceberg lettuce, blue cheese, and chopped tomatoes drizzled with a homemade creamy blue cheese dressing.
- 1 cup real mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup , plus 1 Tablespoon sour cream
- 2 Tablespoons buttermilk (more if needed, for desired consistency)
- 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3/4 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon seasoning salt
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 1 head iceberg lettuce (very cold)
- 6 slices bacon , cooked crisp and crumbled
- 1-2 Roma tomatoes , chopped and de-seeded as much as possible
- Make the sauce several hours before assembling salad. Whisk the mayonnaise and sour cream together in a medium sized bowl. Add the buttermilk, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, and seasoning salt to this mixture. Mix well to combine. Season the dressing with salt and pepper. Gently fold in the blue cheese crumbles and stir to combine. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for several hours (or even better- overnight!) until ready to serve.
- When ready to serve, take completely chilled lettuce out of refrigerator. Pull off any discolored outer leaves. Remove core by hitting the lettuce (core side down) onto kitchen counter to loosen up the core. Remove the core, and discard.
- Slice the lettuce into 4 wedges, slicing from the top of the lettuce to the bottom. Place a completely cold lettuce wedge onto each serving plate. Spoon the dressing over the top of the wedge, and allow the dressing to overflow and run down the side.
- Sprinkle the top of the wedge with crumbled bacon bits, chopped tomatoes, and additional blue cheese crumbles. Serve and enjoy!
The key to this salad is having the lettuce wedges be extremely COLD. You can cut the lettuce wedges and then refrigerate them for several hours, if desired. I even put our lettuce wedges in our freezer for 10 minutes right before serving, to get them even colder.
Here’s one more to pin on your Pinterest boards!