Your family will LOVE these crispy, chewy, easy to make, flavor-filled Butterscotch Chip Cookies for dessert or snack time!
I recently experimented with a cookie recipe I found on Pinterest many months ago. These Butterscotch Chip Cookies were wonderful! The use of browned butter and butterscotch chips in the recipe add even more unique flavor to these chewy, crispy, fabulous tasting treats!
These delicious butterscotch chip cookies were so EASY to make, and they truly have a wonderful butterscotch flavor! The recipe makes about 4½ dozen small cookies, but (as you will be able to see from my photos) I made them slightly larger than original recipe instructed, so my net yield was 28 cookies. Whether you choose to prepare large or small cookies, here’s how to make them:
Scroll Down For A Printable Recipe Card At The Bottom Of The Page
How To Make Butterscotch Chip Cookies
Begin by browning the butter. To do this, place 1½ cubes of butter in a skillet. Melt butter using medium heat, until the butter melts, begins to bubble, froths up, then slightly browns (don’t let butter get too brown… just barely!). Once done, remove skillet from heat.
Add browned butter and brown sugar to a large mixer bowl. Beat these together on medium speed. Once mixed, let mixture sit for a couple minutes, stirring occasionally to let the mixture cool down a bit before adding other ingredients.
You don’t want the mixture hot when you add eggs or they could begin to scramble. Definitely… you really DON’T want that to happen! Once the mixture has cooled down a bit, add salt, eggs, and vanilla extract. Mix well.
After this, STIR in the flour, baking powder, and baking soda. Once mixed, add butterscotch chips and stir well to combine. Set aside.
Roll The Cookie Dough Into Round Balls
In a separate small bowl, mix together brown sugar and granulated sugar, for topping. Use a 1 Tablespoon sized scoop to scoop dough from bowl and roll dough between your clean hands to form a ball.
*Note: This is where I used a slightly larger scoop to make cookies larger. Process is still the same, though. Once dough is a ball, place it in brown sugar/granulated sugar topping. Roll dough around to cover completely with sugar topping.
Bake The Butterscotch Chip Cookies
Place topping covered balls of dough onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Keep the dough balls about 2 inches apart, as they spread a bit while baking. Bake butterscotch chip cookies in a 375 degree oven for 10 minutes.
When done, remove the baking sheet from the oven. Let the cookies rest for about a minute on baking sheet, then carefully remove them with a spatula to a wire rack, to finish cooling.
Once cookies have cooled, they are good to go! Enjoy the slight crunch on the outside! I think they’re at their best once they have completely cooled (I know it’s hard to wait, but trust me on this!).
Once cooled, pile some on a plate, pour yourself a big old glass of milk… and dig in! They’re delicious!
I hope you enjoy these wonderful cookies! My husband was unexpectedly rushed to the ER and hospitalized earlier this week, and making these butterscotch chip cookies ( a few for us, and the rest for friends) helped take my mind off of everything. He is doing okay now, and we are very grateful to God for his recovery and the additional medical care he is receiving.
Have a blessed day. Be kind.
Looking For More COOKIE Recipes?
You can find ALL of my cookie recipes in the Recipe Index, which is located at the top of the page. I have LOTS of scrumptious cookies for you to enjoy, including:
Interested In More Recipes?
Thank you for visiting this website. I appreciate you using some of your valuable time to do so. If you’re interested, I publish a newsletter 2 times per month (1st and 15th) with all the latest recipes, and other fun info. I would be honored to have you join our growing list of subscribers, so you never miss a great recipe!
There is a Newsletter subscription box on the top right side (or bottom) of each blog post, depending on the device you use, where you can easily submit your e-mail address (only) to be included in my mailing list.
You Can Also Find Me On Social Media:
Facebook page: The Grateful Girl Cooks!
Pinterest: The Grateful Girl Cooks!
Recipe Adapted From: http://www.shugarysweets.com/2011/09/butterscotch-cookies
Easy to make and delicious to eat, these crispy chewy cookies feature browned butter and butterscotch chips for GREAT flavor!
- 3/4 cup cubes butter (12 Tablespoons)
- 1¾ cups brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2½ cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup butterscotch chips
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- Place 1½ cubes of butter in a skillet. Melt butter on medium heat, until butter melts, begins to bubble, froths up, then slightly browns. Once done, remove skillet from heat.
- Add browned butter and brown sugar to large mixer bowl. Beat together on medium speed. Once mixed, let mixture sit for a couple minutes, stirring occasionally to let mixture cool down slightly, before adding other ingredients.
- Once cooled down a bit, add salt, eggs, and vanilla extract. Mix well.
- STIR in flour, baking powder, and baking soda. Once mixed, add butterscotch chips; stir well to combine. Set aside.
- In a separate small bowl, mix brown sugar and granulated sugar for topping. Use a 1 Tablespoon sized scoop to scoop dough from bowl and roll dough between your clean hands to form a ball. (*Note: This is where I used a slightly larger scoop to make cookies larger. Process is still the same, though). Once dough is a ball, place it in brown sugar/granulated sugar topping. Roll dough around to cover completely with sugar topping.
- Place dough balls onto parchment paper lined baking sheets. Keep dough balls about 2 inches apart, as they spread a bit while baking. Bake cookies in a 375 degree oven for 10 minutes.
- Remove baking sheet from oven; let cookies cool for a minute, then remove cookies to a wire rack to cool completely. Enjoy!
Here’s one more to pin on your Pinterest boards!