One of the gifts I received for Mother’s Day this year was a subscription to Food Network Magazine. That’s where I discovered this recipe for a Grilled Ham Salad With Peaches and Goat Cheese.
I was thumbing through the September 2014 issue that was delivered to our home recently and saw the recipe for this salad. I was mildly interested (i.e. it got my attention), because it sounded so different from other salads I’ve made before.
Well, my curiosity got the best of me and I ended up making this salad for dinner for my husband and myself a couple of nights ago. Even as I was making it, I truthfully wasn’t sure we would like it… but guess what? We both LOVED it! It was WAY better than I thought it would be, and THAT was a great surprise!
It was a filling entree for dinner. You’ve got your meat (ham), dairy (creamy goat cheese), peaches (fruit), and lots of lettuce (veggies). How could you NOT love a salad like this? I only tweaked the recipe just a bit. Quick to throw together, easy on the eyes, and completely delicious! I hope you will give this delicious salad a try…
Recipe Adapted From: Food Network Magazine, September 2014 issue, pg. 82
- ½ cup pecans, chopped
- ⅓ cup olive oil (plus more for grill)
- 2 - 1 inch thick slices ham (approx. 7 oz. each)
- 2 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1½ Tablespoons Chives, chopped
- ½ Tablespoon Tarragon (I used dried)
- 1 shallot, finely minced
- 3 fresh peaches, peeled, pitted, and sliced into ½ inch wedges
- 8 cups fresh mesculun greens (5 ounce pkg.)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
- Preheat a grill to medium heat. (I used an indoor grill to prepare the ham)
- Lightly toast the chopped pecans over medium high heat in a dry skillet. Stir pecans occasionally, until toasted (about 5-6 minutes). Be careful to not let them burn. Set pecans aside to cool.
- Brush (lightly) the grill with olive oil. Place the ham slices on the grill; heat through (about 2-3 minutes per side). Remove the ham when heated through; set aside to cool, then slice into ½ inch strips.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the balsamic vinegar, honey, Dijon mustard, herbs and shallot.
- Slowly whisk the olive oil into the mixture; Mix until emulsified.
- Place salad greens, pecans, ham, and peaches in salad bowl. Add the salad dressing and GENTLY toss.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Place salad onto serving plates, and top with crumbled goat cheese.
- Serve and enjoy!