It’s EASY to make eight delicious Homemade Breakfast Sausage Patties for breakfast from scratch, using ground turkey or pork!
So… in my never ending quest experimenting with new recipes, I decided to try making Homemade Breakfast Sausage Patties from scratch. I found the recipe via Pinterest via Martha Stewart via Lucinda Scala Quinn’s book “Mad Hungry”. Did ya get all that? Ha Ha… it takes a village.
When I was growing up my Mom used to make eggs and sausage for us about once a week. She always made sausage patties by hand (using a one pound “chub” from her favorite “name brand”). As a “busy” adult, I usually end up buying link sausage instead of patties, the kind you simply “brown and serve”.
But, when I saw this recipe, I decided to see what making homemade breakfast sausage patties “from scratch” was all about. I knew I could control the ingredients and leave out some of the unpronounceable “add ins” typically found in mass produced name brand products for longer life.
Scroll Down For A Printable Recipe Card At The Bottom Of The Page
Okay… How Do I Make Homemade Breakfast Sausage?
The original recipe called for ground pork (which is my personal favorite), but I had a pound of ground turkey that I was itching to use, so I substituted turkey in this recipe for a healthier version. The sausage patties turned out very good, and I would definitely make this recipe again. Hope you will give it a try!
First things first… get all the ingredients (spices) together to add to the ground meat. Let’s do this!
After mixing the ingredients, form the sausage patties (with clean hands, of course!). Place them onto foil or wax paper after making each one.
Cooking Homemade Breakfast Sausage Patties
Place the homemade breakfast sausage patties in a lightly oiled, hot skillet. I cooked several sausages at a time, then repeated the process for the remaining sausage patties.
Carefully turn the patties over about half way through cooking time and continue cooking until the homemade breakfast sausage patties are cooked all the way through..
Once done, transfer the cooked sausage patties to a paper towel so any extra grease is absorbed. Once they drain a bit, they are done, and ready to eat!
I prepared these homemade breakfast sausage patties one fine morning, and ended up using them to make sausage, egg and cheese biscuits. The sausage patty was added to a fluffy biscuit, along with sliced cheddar cheese and a fried egg. It was delicious!
If you enjoy breakfast sandwiches, I hope you will check out my recipes for:
How Many Homemade Breakfast Sausage Patties Does This Make?
The recipe made 8 small sausage patties and only took about 25 minutes or so to make from start to finish! I ended up freezing half of the cooked sausage patties, to save for another breakfast.
Hope you will give this easy recipe for homemade breakfast sausage a try. The calorie calculation was based on using ground turkey for the sausage. The recipe is easily adapted for using ground pork, but the calorie count will be slightly higher. Have a fantastic day, and be sure to check out ALL my recipes in the Recipe Index, located at the top of the page.
Interested In More Recipes?
Thank you for visiting this website. I appreciate you using some of your valuable time to do so. If you’re interested, I publish a newsletter 2 times per month (1st and 15th) with all the latest recipes, and other fun info. I would be honored to have you join our growing list of subscribers, so you never miss a great recipe!
There is a Newsletter subscription box on the top right side (or bottom) of each blog post, depending on the device you use, where you can easily submit your e-mail address (only) to be included in my mailing list.
You Can Also Find Me On Social Media:
Facebook page: The Grateful Girl Cooks!
Pinterest: The Grateful Girl Cooks!
Recipe Adapted from: http://www.marthastewart.com/341904/simple-homemade-sausage-patties
↓↓ PRINTABLE RECIPE BELOW ↓↓
It's EASY to make eight delicious Homemade Breakfast Sausage Patties for breakfast from scratch, using ground turkey or pork!
- 1 pound ground turkey or ground pork
- 1 clove garlic , minced
- 1 Tablespoon dried sage , crumbled
- 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried fennel , crushed
- 1 pinch of ground nutmeg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large egg white
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil (for cooking the sausage patties in)
- In a medium sized bowl, combine all the ingredients except vegetable oil. Mix thoroughly. Cover the bowl; refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- To make the patties: Rinse your hands in really cold water (this helps to make it easier to make the patties without it sticking as much). Divide the meat into 8 patties. Shape each patty into a 2 1/2 inch wide disk.
- If you don't want to cook all the patties at once, you can refrigerate the patties or freeze them until you want to use them.
- If cooking immediately, heat a large skillet or griddle over high heat. Add the vegetable oil and continue heating. Place the sausages in hot skillet or griddle. Fry them about 4 minutes on each side until golden brown. Carefully turn patties over and repeat until cooked through and lightly browned on both sides.
- When done, remove sausages to paper towels to briefly drain. Serve immediately.
- Cooked sausage patties can be cooled and wrapped and frozen for use at another time, if desired. Microwave sausage patties (in paper towels) to re-heat
NOTE:**Caloric calculation was based on the use of ground turkey.
Here’s one more to pin on your Pinterest boards!