I love my Mom’s recipe for Chicken Parmigiana. Really, really, really love it. I love my Mom more… but that’s a completely different story. Mom’s Chicken Parmigiana is an absolutely fantastic Italian dish!
My mom first made this classic Italian dish for me YEARS ago. I have no idea where she got the recipe… all I know is that it is fantastic! I’ve made it for years now, and even prepared it for about 35 hungry friends at a staff retreat about 10 years years ago, where it received rave reviews!
It’s actually pretty easy to prepare, and the smell in the kitchen as the sauce is being cooked… oh my goodness! The chicken is “fork tender” and full of good old Italian flavor! The pasta sauce is totally easy to prepare, as well. You layer a bit of the sauce in the bottom of baking dish before adding the chicken, then you put a bit more on top of the chicken, then you use the rest of the sauce on angel hair pasta which is served alongside the chicken. Perfect… and so delicious!
I’ve never taken photos of the recipe while preparing it (my bad), so unfortunately you only get to see the finished product, but trust me. It is easy. If you can follow basic directions, you can do this! And you just might thank me for the amazing aromas in your kitchen as you cook this meal. Hope you will “get your Italian on” and give this classic Italian dish a try… I think you’re gonna love Mom’s Chicken Parmigiana!
Recipe Source: Mom (original source is unknown)
- 1 large can (28 oz.) Italian chopped tomatoes (do not drain)
- 1/2 medium brown onion , finely chopped
- 5 garlic cloves , minced
- 6-7 fresh basil leaves (1/4 cup), chopped
- 1 Tablespoon Italian seasoning (or more, to taste)
- Salt , to taste
- Angel Hair Pasta (enough for 4 small servings)
- 4 boneless chicken breasts
- salt and pepper (to season chicken breasts)
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cups Italian bread crumbs
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- mozzarella cheese (either 1 1/2 cups grated or four 1/2 inch slices)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare the sauce: Melt the butter and olive oil in a large skillet.
- Saute the chopped onion and crushed garlic in the olive oil and butter for a few minutes, being careful not to burn the garlic.
- Add the can of Italian tomatoes. Cook for approximately 10 minutes until heated through.
- Add the chopped basil and Italian seasoning. Remove from heat.
- Prepare the chicken:
- Pound chicken breasts with a meat mallet between layers of plastic wrap or a large zip lock bag until thinner (the chicken, not YOU). They should end up being about 1/2 inch thick, if possible.
- Put two eggs in medium sized bowl; beat slightly. Add milk; stir to combine.
- Place Italian bread crumbs onto a dinner plate and spread to cover plate.
- Salt and pepper chicken breasts. Dredge one chicken breast at a time into the egg/milk mixture. Let excess egg mixture drip off back into bowl.
- Dredge each piece of chicken into Italian bread crumbs to coat all sides of chicken.Place each piece of chicken onto a baking sheet once completely coated.
- Heat butter and olive oil in large skillet. Once oil is very hot, add the chicken breasts (may have to do this in 2 batches due to size of chicken). Brown chicken for 3-4 minutes per side. Remove from skillet. Chicken does not have to be fully cooked at this point, because it will bake in oven.
- Place a thin layer of prepared pasta sauce on the bottom of a 9x13 baking pan (just enough to keep chicken from sticking... save the rest for the the top of chicken and the pasta!).
- Lay the browned chicken breasts in single layer on top of the sauce, then sprinkle chicken with grated parmesan cheese. Place a large spoonful of pasta sauce on top of the chicken breast, followed by the slice of mozzarella cheese.
- Bake in 350 degree oven for approximately 20 minutes, or until cheese is bubbly on top.
- While chicken is baking, prepare the angel hair pasta, per package directions. Add remaining sauce to cooked pasta, and serve alongside the chicken parmigiana when done. Enjoy!