“Not Outta The Box” Macaroni And Cheese is a delicious baked pasta dish, with creamy, cheesy sauce and a bread crumb topping.
Comfort food and macaroni and cheese go together like bad singing and Christmas caroling. Always good, no matter what! By the way, I nominate this for the worst intro ever for “Not Outta The Box” Macaroni And Cheese”. You’re welcome…*cough, cough.
So, here’s the back story. I grew up in your typical, average, All-American household. We didn’t have a lot of money, but we were well-fed. Our Mom often fed us macaroni and cheese out of a lovely blue and gold box (go ahead – insert nationally known name brand here!), and we loved it!
Yes… we loved it…and I have to admit that my hubby and I occasionally STILL eat it when we want something quick cheesy. Truth. We can’t help ourselves, because it’s in our family genes, I guess. The recipe I am sharing is for a BAKED version of this creamy and very cheesy pasta dish.
Scroll Down For A Printable Recipe Card At The Bottom Of The Page
Sometimes I crave a homemade version of those cheesy macaroni noodles and don’t want to use a box mix, filled with orange cheese-like substances. I wanna go full out and make it FRESH! I found this easy and very tasty recipe on Pinterest (my “go to”) for quick recipe searches. We tried it, and loved it. End of story. Oh yeah…they all lived happily ever after, their little tummies filled with homemade “not outta the box” macaroni and cheese.
Bake And Serve “Not Outta The Box” Macaroni And Cheese
Now wasn’t that a nice little story? Well, here’s the nice little recipe. My photos of this dish are not some of my best, but don’t let that mess with your head. This is a great recipe for “not Outta The box” Macaroni And Cheese. Hope you enjoy it!
Hope you enjoy this recipe. It really is good (despite my horrible photos).Thank you for stopping by, and have a great day.
Looking For More PASTA Recipes?
You can find ALL of my recipes in the Recipe Index, located at the top of the page. I have lots of great pasta recipes for you to enjoy, including:
Interested In More Recipes?
Thank you for visiting this website. I appreciate you using some of your valuable time to do so. If you’re interested, I publish a newsletter 2 times per month (1st and 15th) with all the latest recipes, and other fun info. I would be honored to have you join our growing list of subscribers, so you never miss a great recipe!
There is a Newsletter subscription box on the top right side (or bottom) of each blog post, depending on the device you use, where you can easily submit your e-mail address (only) to be included in my mailing list.
You Can Also Find Me On Social Media:
Facebook page: The Grateful Girl Cooks!
Pinterest: The Grateful Girl Cooks!
Recipe Source: http://www.iheartnaptime.net/homemade-macaroni-and-cheese/
↓↓ PRINTABLE RECIPE BELOW ↓↓
"Not Outta The Box" Macaroni And Cheese is a delicious baked pasta dish, with creamy, cheesy sauce and a bread crumb topping.
- 1 lb. elbow macaroni noodles
- 1/4 cup (1/2 cube) butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup whipping cream (I used heavy)
- 1 Tablespoon yellow table mustard
- 3 cups sharp cheddar cheese , grated
- 1 cup medium cheddar cheese , grated
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon creole seasoning (or you may substitute seasoning salt)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup additional grated cheddar cheese (to top dish with prior to baking)
- 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs (for topping - optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook the elbow macaroni noodles according to package directions. Remove and drain once macaroni is cooked.
- In a separate large saucepan, melt the butter on low heat. When melted, whisk in the flour. Cook these two ingredients together for 3-4 minutes. Stir constantly while these are cooking.
- Add the salt, pepper and creole seasoning (or seasoning salt) to the flour mixture.
- Add the milk, whipping cream and mustard. Whisk these ingredients until they are well combined.
- Add the sharp and medium grated cheddar cheese. Stir these as they melt. Stir until the mixture is smooth.
- Add the drained macaroni to the cheese mixture; stir it to combine.
- Spray a 9x9 baking dish with non-stick spray. Pour the macaroni and cheese mixture into this dish. Add the additional cheese on top, followed by the bread crumbs.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes, or until cheese is bubbly and the dish is beginning to turn golden brown on top. Serve and enjoy.
Here’s one more to pin on your Pinterest boards!