This delicious, copycat version of Olive Garden’s beloved thick and creamy chicken gnocchi soup is easy to make in 30 minutes… for lunch or dinner!
Last year a friend from out of state was staying in our home for several days. My friend Patti and I went to a local restaurant, where I tasted an amazing soup… Olive Garden Chicken Gnocchi Soup! It was so good I’ve been on a quest ever since, to find a great recipe to duplicate it.
I think I found a great recipe on Pinterest. The soup tastes amazingly similar to the restaurant version, and it is crazy delicious! Did I mention it only takes 25-30 minutes from start to finish to make, as well? Yep. EASY and delicious – now that’s my kind of meal! Here’s how you make this main course soup:
How To Make Olive Garden Chicken Gnocchi Soup
Add butter and olive oil to a large soup pot. Turn heat to medium-high heat, and melt butter. Add diced onion and celery and sauté for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onions are translucent and tender.
During the last minute, add the minced garlic and continue cooking, stirring to prevent garlic from burning.
Once onions and celery are tender, add the flour to the pan. Stir to combine all the ingredients. This makes a “roux” which helps to thicken the soup. Cook the roux for an additional minute, stirring well.
Add the half and half and the chicken broth to the soup pot, and stir well, to fully combine ingredients.
The chicken gnocchi soup will look like the photo below. Continue to cook, stirring frequently until the soup begins to thicken.
Add The Rest Of The Ingredients To Finish The Chicken Gnocchi Soup
Once the soup has begun to thicken, add the shredded carrots, chopped spinach, fresh thyme leaves, diced chicken breast, and potato gnocchi.
Stir well, to fully blend all these ingredients into the chicken gnocchi soup.
Continue to cook the soup on medium heat until soup is heated through, and the potato gnocchi is fully cooked (between 5 and 10 minutes). The soup will thicken up a bit more, too. See that good looking gnocchi? YUM.
Once the chicken gnocchi soup is finished cooking, give it a taste test. Season with salt and ground black pepper, to taste. See the bites of gnocchi, chicken, spinach and shredded carrots in the photo below? This is a meal in a bowl, friends!
Ladle the creamy soup into serving bowls, and serve this chicken gnocchi soup while HOT!
I think you’re gonna love this soup… we sure did! The potato gnocchi in the soup taste like little dumplings!
We ate our Olive Garden chicken gnocchi soup with thick slices of crusty French bread. French bread tasted GREAT dipped in the soup to “sop up” some of that delicious creamy broth!
Sure hope you will consider making this absolutely delicious and filling chicken gnocchi soup. It’s quick and easy to prepare on a busy day, but is so filling and super delicious! The leftovers were just as good, as well!
Have a great day, and thanks for taking the time to check out this recipe. Hope you enjoy it!
Interested In More Recipes?
Thank you for visiting this website. I appreciate you using some of your valuable time to do so. If you’re interested, I publish a newsletter 2 times per month (1st and 15th) with all the latest recipes, and other fun info. I would be honored to have you join our growing list of subscribers, so you never miss a great recipe!
There is a Newsletter subscription box on the top right side (or bottom) of each blog post, depending on the device you use, where you can easily submit your e-mail address (only) to be included in my mailing list.
You Can Also Find Me On Social Media:
Facebook page: The Grateful Girl Cooks!
Pinterest: The Grateful Girl Cooks!
Recipe Source: http://therecipecritic.com/2016/09/creamy-chicken-gnocchi-soup-olive-garden-copycat/
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup brown onion , diced
- 1/2 cup celery , diced
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups half and half
- 1 can (14 ounces) chicken broth (**See NOTES section below for tip)
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 cup fresh spinach leaves , chopped (may substitute frozen, chopped spinach-drained well)
- 1 Tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 cup cooked chicken breast , diced
- 1 package (16 ounces) potato gnocchi (found in pasta aisle)
- Salt and ground black pepper , to taste
- Place the butter and olive oil in a large soup pot. Melt butter on medium-high heat. Add diced onion and celery. Sauté until onions are translucent and tender (about 3-4 minutes), stirring occasionally. During the last minute, add the minced garlic.
- Add flour to the pan, stir well, to combine (this makes a "roux"). Continue to cook this for an additional minute.
- Add the half and half, then the chicken broth to the soup pot. Mix well, to combine, and continue to cook, stirring frequently until the soup begins to thicken.
- Once soup has begun to thicken, add shredded carrots, chopped spinach, fresh thyme leaves, diced chicken and gnocchi. Simmer on low for 5-10 minutes, until soup is heated and thickened, and gnocchi have fully cooked. Taste and season with salt and pepper, if desired.
- Serve hot... and enjoy!
If you prefer a thinner soup, simply add an additional can of chicken broth to soup. (I like it thick and creamy, so only used one can!)
Here’s one more to pin on your Pinterest boards!