Spicy Fish Sandwich with Chili Mayo is a delicious meal, w/ pan-seared cod, peppery arugula and marinated cucumber strips, on a toasted roll!
I made my hubby an amazing fish sandwich for dinner recently. It’s a Spicy Fish Sandwich with Chili Mayo recipe that I found on Pinterest. It was quite delicious, and I know this because I begged him for a couple bites! WOW- this fish sandwich tastes GREAT!
I found a piece of cod in our freezer that I wanted to use, so I fed the hubby AND tried a new recipe at the same time! It really DID taste good, and I will make it again (except this time I will make one for me, too!). Here’s how you make this yummy fish sandwich (recipe is for 2 sandwiches):
Scroll Down For A Printable Recipe Card At The Bottom Of The Page
Prepare The Cucumber Topping
Thinly slice 1/2 of a cucumber lengthwise and add it to a bowl with some white wine vinegar and a small touch of sugar. I used a mandoline and julienned the cucumber into long thin strips, but you could also use a vegetable peeler and thinly slice the cucumber lengthwise to make wide “ribbons”. Once mixed, cover until ready to use on sandwich.
Make The Chili Mayo
Make the chili mayo by combining mayo and sweet chili sauce (I use Mae Ploy). Mix together and keep refrigerated until ready to use. Try to mix it up early in the day so flavors have time to mingle.
The chili mayo sauce does not have too much heat but just enough that I called this a spicy fish sandwich! If you like it hot, then by all means, simple add more chili sauce.
Toast the Bread In A Skillet
Lightly toast a French bread roll in a skillet. (You can also broil it a bit, to toast the surface of the roll before adding the rest of the ingredients to it). A ciabatta roll would also be wonderful for the sandwich (per the original author). They have enough sturdiness to hold the ingredients without getting soggy.
How To Cook The Fish
Mix up flour, smoked paprika, cumin, and dried thyme on a plate. Spread it out so you can dredge the piece of fish in it. This is enough spices for TWO pieces of fish. Dredge the fish in the spice/flour mixture, turning to coat it on both sides.
Heat oil on medium high in non-stick skillet. Let it get hot, then place the piece (or pieces) of fish into the hot oil. DO NOT MOVE THE FISH after placing in the skillet initially (or it may stick). As it cooks for 2-3 minutes it will develop a “crust” on the bottom side and will be fine.
After 2-3 minutes, carefully turn the fish over and continue cooking for another 2-3 minutes, until done and golden brown.
Putting The Spicy Fish Sandwich Together For Serving
To serve, slice the toasted rolls in half horizontally. Spread a generous amount of the chili mayo sauce onto both sides of the toasted roll.
Place some arugula leaves on top of the sauce on the bottom half of the roll, then place the cooked fish on top of the arugula.
Add a generous helping of the sliced cucumbers (letting any juices drain off before adding). Top with the other half of the toasted roll, and serve!
Time To EAT!
Take a BIG bite! The seasoned, semi-crunchy fish, paired with peppery arugula, the crunch of marinated cucumbers, toasty roll, and the chili mayo combine to make this a WONDERFUL spicy fish sandwich!
Sure hope you will give this spicy fish sandwich recipe a try! I know we will have this again in our home! Have a wonderful day, friends. May you find moments of refreshment and encouragement throughout your day.
Looking for More SANDWICH Recipes?
You can find ALL my recipes in the Recipe Index, located at the top of the page. I have some delicious sandwich recipes, including:
Interested In More Recipes?
Thank you for visiting this website. I appreciate you using some of your valuable time to do so. If you’re interested, I publish a newsletter 2 times per month (1st and 15th) with all the latest recipes, and other fun info. I would be honored to have you join our growing list of subscribers, so you never miss a great recipe!
There is a Newsletter subscription box on the top right side (or bottom) of each blog post, depending on the device you use, where you can easily submit your e-mail address (only) to be included in my mailing list.
You Can Also Find Me On Social Media:
Facebook page: The Grateful Girl Cooks!
Pinterest: The Grateful Girl Cooks!
Recipe Source: http://www.olivemagazine.com/recipes/spicy-fish-burger-with-chilli-mayo/10084.html
Spicy Fish Sandwich with Chili Mayo is an incredible meal, featuring pan-seared cod, peppery arugula and marinated cucumber strips, served on a toasted roll!
- 1/2 cucumber , sliced thinly lengthwise (using mandoline to julienne or veg. peeler to slice ribbons)
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- 1/3 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 2 Tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon sweet chili sauce (I used Mae Ploy), add more sauce to taste, if desired.
- 1 Tablespoon flour
- 1/4 teaspoon smoky paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 Tablespoons oil
- 2 pieces cod (bun sized)
- 2 crusty French rolls or ciabatta rolls
- Arugula (a small handful)
- Prepare cucumbers, by thinly slicing or julienning into very thin strips lengthwise. Place in bowl with white wine vinegar and granulated sugar. Mix. Cover and set aside.
- Mix the mayonnaise and chili sauce together in a small container. Refrigerate until needed.
- Slice rolls in half. Lightly "toast" the cut sides of rolls in a dry skillet or under the broiler until slightly crispy. Set aside.
- Combine flour, paprika, cumin and thyme on a plate. Mix, then spread out on plate. Dredge the pieces of fish through the flour mixture, turning to coat both sides.
- Heat oil on medium-high in a non-stick skillet until hot. Carefully place the fish into the hot oil. Do not move the fish once in skillet or it might stick. It will form a crust as it cooks. Let fish cook for 2-3 minutes, then carefully turn fish over and continue cooking other side for 2-3 minutes, until done and golden brown.
- To assemble sandwich, slice rolls in half horizontally. Generously spread chili-mayo sauce on both sides of each sandwich roll. Place arugula on top of sauce on bottom of roll. Place fish on top of arugula. Place marinated cucumber slices (drain liquid first) on top of fish, then place top of roll on. Serve... and enjoy!
Here’s one more to pin on your Pinterest boards!
I’m a huge seafood lover and can eat it every day! This is such a quick and easy meal that would definitely be a hit, and I’m loving that spicy fish sandwish !
Good morning, Maria! Thanks for your note! Hope you enjoy this fish sandwich. It REALLY does taste good! Have a great day.
super yum recipe! because i love sea food. i will try this recipe soon thanks for sharing it. 🙂
I hope you enjoy it, Hafsa! Thanks for taking the time to write!