So… in my never ending quest experimenting with new recipes, I decided to try making my own Homemade Breakfast Sausage Patties, (made with ground turkey) from scratch.
I found the recipe via Pinterest via Martha Stewart via Lucinda Scala Quinn’s book “Mad Hungry”…did ya get all that? Ha Ha… it takes a village….
When I was growing up my Mom used to make eggs and sausage for us. She always made sausage patties by hand (using a one pound “chub” from her favorite “name brand”). As an adult, I usually end up buying link sausage instead of patties… typically the kind you just “brown and serve” (wink, wink). But, when I saw this recipe, I decided to see what making homemade sausage patties “from scratch” was all about. I knew I could control the ingredients and leave out some of the unpronounceable “add ins” typically found in mass produced name brand products for longer life.
So I threw these sausage patties together one fine morning, and ended up making some sausage, egg and cheese biscuits with them. The recipe made 8 small sausage patties and only took about 25 minutes or so to make from start to finish; I ended up freezing half of the cooked sausage patties for another breakfast. The original recipe called for ground pork (which is my personal favorite), but I had a pound of ground turkey that I was itching to use, so I substituted turkey in this recipe for a healthier version.The sausage patties turned out very good, and I would make this recipe again. Hope you will give it a try!
Recipe Adapted from: http://www.marthastewart.com/341904/simple-homemade-sausage-patties
- 1 pound ground turkey or ground pork
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 Tablespoon dried sage, crumbled
- ¾ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon dried fennel, crushed
- pinch of ground nutmeg
- 1½ teaspoons coarse salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large egg white
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil (for cooking the sausage patties in)
- In a medium sized bowl, combine all the ingredients except vegetable oil. Mix thoroughly. Cover the bowl; refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- To make the patties: Rinse your hands in really cold water (this helps to make it easier to make the patties without it sticking as much). Divide the meat into 8 patties. Shape each patty into a 2½ inch wide disk.
- If you don't want to cook all the patties at once, you can refrigerate the patties or freeze them until you want to use them.
- If cooking immediately, heat a large skillet or griddle over high heat. Add the vegetable oil and continue heating. Place the sausages in hot skillet or griddle. Fry them about 4 minutes on each side until golden brown. Carefully turn patties over and repeat until cooked through and lightly browned on both sides.
- When done, remove sausages to paper towels to briefly drain. Serve immediately.
- Cooked sausage patties can be cooled and wrapped and frozen for use at another time, if desired. Microwave sausage patties (in paper towels) to re-heat