If you enjoy thin-crust pizza, chances are you will LOVE this BBQ Chicken Tortilla Pizza! That’s right… the crust is a baked flour tortilla! Tender chunks of chicken, sweet and spicy BBQ sauce, red onions, cilantro and cheeses combine to make this one amazing tasting dish!
I had an idea to try using a flour tortilla and make a pizza out of it. I also knew I wanted to make a BBQ sauce based pizza with chicken, red onion, etc. I didn’t have a recipe to work off of, but made it up as I went along… and it turned out ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC! I’m not kidding, we LOVED this pizza! Who knew?
I started by baking medium sized flour tortillas at 350 degrees on the middle rack of my oven until they were fairly crisp all over. This took about 10 minutes (I flipped each one over halfway through baking to ensure each tortilla was crisp all over (especially the middle). I then put them under the broiler for 1 minute to slightly brown (keeping them on the middle rack not too close to broiler).
Once they were crisp, I spread each tortilla with BBQ sauce (about 1½ to 2 Tablespoons sauce per tortilla). Spread the sauce to within an inch of the edge of the tortilla. This is the sauce I used (it tastes fantastic).
Thin slices of cooked chicken and red onion slices were placed on top of the BBQ sauce. I used leftover cooked chicken breast (thighs would also be fantastic).
I added grated Mozzarella cheese and some sharp cheddar cheese to pizzas, then topped with a few cilantro leaves.
The pizzas were placed on a large baking sheet (middle rack), then baked in a 350 degree oven for 5-6 minutes, until cheese had melted.
I slid the pizzas off of the baking sheet, and sliced each one into 4 pieces with a pizza cutter, then we gobbled them up like little piggies because they were sooooo good! The slices hold their shape easily if the tortillas are crisp before baking. Go ahead… grab a slice!
The slightly sweet and spicy taste of the BBQ sauce lends itself well to chicken, red onions and cilantro. My husband and I were both completely thrilled with the taste of this crazy tortilla pizza!
I really hope you will consider trying this simple recipe… for me it was ridiculously easy and super quick to make, due in part to leftover cooked chicken and extra flour tortillas! I can hardly wait to make these again for a quick dinner!
- 2 medium flour tortillas
- 3-4 Tablespoons BBQ sauce , divided
- 1 large COOKED chicken breast , seasoned with salt/pepper, cut in thin slices, divided
- thin slices red onion (as many as desired)
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese , divided
- 1/2 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese , divided
- 1/4 cup (approximately a handful) cilantro leaves, divided
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake flour tortillas on middle rack of oven until fairly crisp all over (approx 10 min) Flip over halfway through baking to ensure each tortilla is crisp all over (especially the middle). Put them under broiler for 1 minute to slightly brown (keeping them on the middle rack not too close to heating element).
- Once crisp, remove from oven. Spread each tortilla with BBQ sauce to about an inch from the edge (about 1½-2 Tablespoons sauce per tortilla, or more if desired). Add thin slices of cooked chicken and red onion slices, add grated Mozzarella and cheddar cheese, then sprinkle with a few cilantro leaves.
- Place pizzas on a large baking sheet on middle rack of oven; bake at 350 degrees for 5-6 minutes, until cheese has melted. Remove from heat, and cut into slices. Serve and enjoy!
Here’s one more to pin on your Pinterest boards!