You’re gonna LOVE this BBQ Chicken Tortilla Pizza! Chicken, BBQ sauce, red onion, cilantro and cheese on a baked flour tortilla make a yummy thin crust pizza!
If you enjoy thin-crust pizza, chances are you will LOVE this BBQ Chicken Tortilla Pizza! That’s right… the crust is a baked flour tortilla! Tender chunks of chicken, sweet and spicy BBQ sauce, red onions, cilantro and cheeses combine to make this one amazing tasting dish!
Recently I had an idea to try using a flour tortilla to make a pizza. I also knew I wanted to make a BBQ sauce based pizza with chicken, red onion, etc. There was no recipe for me to use, but I just made it up as I went along.
Guess what? This BBQ chicken tortilla pizza turned out ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC! I’m not kidding, we LOVED this pizza! Who knew? Here’s how to make this yummy meal:
Scroll Down For A Printable Recipe Card At the Bottom Of The Page
How To Make A BBQ Chicken Tortilla Pizza
Begin by baking medium sized flour tortillas at 350 degrees on the middle rack of an oven until they are fairly crisp all over. This will take about 10 minutes. Make sure to flip each one over halfway through baking to ensure each tortilla is crisp all over, including in the middle.
Turn the oven to broil. Place the crisp tortillas on the middle rack, about 6 inches from the broiler for 1 minute to slightly brown them.
Assembling The BBQ Chicken Tortilla Pizza
Once the tortillas are crisp, spread each tortilla with BBQ sauce (about 1½ to 2 Tablespoons sauce per tortilla). Spread the sauce to within an inch of the edge of the tortilla. This is the BBQ sauce I used to make the BBQ chicken tortilla pizza (photo below), but your favorite BBQ sauce will be just fine!
Place thin slices of cooked chicken and red onion slices on top of the BBQ sauce. I used leftover cooked chicken breast for the pizza (thighs would also be fantastic).
Sprinkle grated Mozzarella cheese and some sharp cheddar cheese on top of each BBQ chicken tortilla pizza, then garnish with a few cilantro leaves.
Bake The Pizza
Put the pizzas on a large baking sheet on the middle rack of a preheated 350 degree oven. Bake the BBQ chicken tortilla pizza for 5-6 minutes, until the cheese has melted.
Carefully slide the pizzas off of the baking sheet, and slice each one into 4 pieces with a pizza cutter. Now the BBQ chicken tortilla pizza is ready to EAT!
We gobbled them up like little piggies because they were sooooo good! The slices will hold their shape easily if the tortillas are nice and crisp before baking. Go ahead… grab a slice!
The slightly sweet and spicy taste of the BBQ sauce lends itself well to chicken, red onions and cilantro. My husband and I were both completely thrilled with the taste of this crazy tortilla pizza!
I really hope you will consider trying this simple recipe… for me it was ridiculously easy and super quick to make, due in part to leftover cooked chicken and extra flour tortillas! I can hardly wait to make these again for a quick dinner! Have a GREAT day!
Looking For More Pizza Recipes?
You can find all of my recipes in the Recipe Index, located at the top of the page. You may enjoy a few pizza recipes I have published on my blog, including:
- Make It Yourself-Pepperoni Pizza
- English Muffin Mummy Pizzas ( a kids treat for Halloween)
- Chicago-Style Deep Dish Pizza
- Apple Pie Dessert Pizza
Interested In More Recipes?
Thank you for visiting this website. I appreciate you using some of your valuable time to do so. If you’re interested, I publish a newsletter 2 times per month (1st and 15th) with all the latest recipes, and other fun info. I would be honored to have you join our growing list of subscribers, so you never miss a great recipe!
There is a Newsletter subscription box on the top right side (or bottom) of each blog post, depending on the device you use, where you can easily submit your e-mail address (only) to be included in my mailing list.
You Can Also Find Me On Social Media:
Facebook page: The Grateful Girl Cooks!
Pinterest: The Grateful Girl Cooks!
- 2 medium flour tortillas
- 3-4 Tablespoons BBQ sauce , divided
- 1 large COOKED chicken breast , seasoned with salt/pepper, cut in thin slices, divided
- thin slices red onion (as many as desired)
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese , divided
- 1/2 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese , divided
- 1/4 cup (approximately a handful) cilantro leaves, divided
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake flour tortillas on middle rack of oven until fairly crisp all over (approx 10 min) Flip over halfway through baking to ensure each tortilla is crisp all over (especially the middle). Put them under broiler for 1 minute to slightly brown (keeping them on the middle rack not too close to heating element).
- Once crisp, remove from oven. Spread each tortilla with BBQ sauce to about an inch from the edge (about 1½-2 Tablespoons sauce per tortilla, or more if desired). Add thin slices of cooked chicken and red onion slices, add grated Mozzarella and cheddar cheese, then sprinkle with a few cilantro leaves.
- Place pizzas on a large baking sheet on middle rack of oven; bake at 350 degrees for 5-6 minutes, until cheese has melted. Remove from heat, and cut into slices. Serve and enjoy!
May substitute two cooked chicken thighs thinly sliced, for chicken breast.
Here’s one more to pin on your Pinterest boards!