What do you get if carrot cake gets married to zucchini bread? This! Carrot Zucchini Bread.
I found this recipe online and decided to try it and use up some of the frozen, grated zucchini hanging out in my freezer since last summer. It was a great find. I made this loaf yesterday…the flavor combo of the zucchini, carrots, brown sugar and cinnamon is a winning one, for sure! Then to top it all off (quite literally!), the cream cheese pecan frosting is fantastic!
The bread was easy to prepare, and very tasty! I had a slice this morning with my coffee. Delicious! I must say I enjoyed the flavors and the moist texture of this carrot zucchini bread very much. The recipe makes 2 loaves, and is easily cut in half in case you only want one loaf (like me), so it’s a win-win!
Hope you will give this a try…and I hope you enjoy it, also!
Recipe Adapted From: http://www.howtoinstructions.us/carrot-zucchini-bread/#.U5MvNCi4mSq
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 3/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable (or canola) oil
- 6 Tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups finely shredded , peeled carrots (about 3 medium carrots)
- 1 1/2 cups finely grated , shredded zucchini (and drained well, if using frozen)
- 6 Tablespoons butter , softened
- 5 oz. cream cheese , softened
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans (or walnuts, if desired)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. While oven is preheating, coat 2 8x4 inch loaf pans with non stick baking spray, then lightly flour pans.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg together. Set aside.
- In another large mixing bowl place the granulated and brown sugars; whisk these until combined.
- Add the vegetable oil, applesauce, eggs, and vanilla to the sugar mixture; mix until well incorporated.
- Stir the shredded carrots and zucchini into this mixture.
- Add the flour mixture to the carrot zucchini mixing bowl all at once. Stir this only until combined.
- Divide the bread batter into the two loaf pans.
- Place loaf pans in oven. Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes, then without removing loaves from oven, quickly place a piece of aluminum foil over the top of each pan (to prevent too much browning), then continue baking the bread for an additional 15-20 minutes longer.
- Remove bread from oven when toothpick inserted in middle of loaves comes out clean.
- Allow the bread to cool in the loaf pan for another 5-10 minutes, then invert it onto a wire rack and let it finish cooling.
- While bread is cooling, make the cream cheese frosting: Using a hand mixer, whip the butter and cream cheese together in a medium sized mixing bowl. When smooth and fluffy, add the powdered sugar and the vanilla. Beat this mixture on medium high speed for 2-3 minutes, until it is light and fluffy.
- Frost cooled loaf with the cream cheese frosting, then top with chopped pecans. (I just added the pecans to the frosting, by the way...no big deal).
Recipe is easily halved. (just use 2 eggs instead of 1 1/2).