I love frozen chocolate bananas… and now I love making these chocolate dipped frozen banana bites! Tiny bites of yumminess, that bring back lots of great memories!
When our boys were little, we lived near Newport Beach, CA. We loved taking our boys every couple of weeks to Balboa Island (at Newport Beach) to feed the ducks and walk around the entire island, while enjoying the waterfront AND gawking at the stunning waterfront homes. Our walks around the island took quite a while (especially with two little boys AND hungry ducks!), but we would almost always end our walk on the main street, which had lots of shops, restaurants, AND take out stands where we would purchase Balboa Bars (chocolate covered vanilla ice cream bars) or Chocolate Covered Frozen Bananas. My favorite treat was getting a chocolate covered frozen banana…yum!
I have frozen slices of bananas as snacks for several years, but decided recently that they would be even more perfect if the bite-sized slices were dipped in chocolate. So I made some! I had semi-sweet and white chocolate chips left over from a recent project, along with a few butterscotch chips. So I melted a bit of EACH, and dipped some frozen banana slices into the chocolate to coat, then refroze the banana slices.
First you slice up several bananas (I used 3). Place slices on baking tray and freeze for 2-3 hours.
Melt the chocolate chips (whatever kind you like), then completely coat frozen banana slices.
Refreeze the slices after coating with chocolate. I drizzled a touch of white chocolate and butterscotch chips over these. Freeze for a couple hours before serving!
I also coated some in white chocolate, then drizzled melted semi-sweet and butterscotch chips over the tops. Freeze coated slices for a couple hours before serving!
I cut into one so you could see what the inside looks like… nothing but frozen banana! YUM!
PERFECTION! Just the right size for a quick bite. Instead of eating an entire chocolate dipped frozen banana, I can eat just a couple slices and be deliriously happy! Hope you’ll give these a try. You (and most kids) will love ’em!
Recipe source: My brain.
- 3 medium bananas
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (or chocolate of your choice)
- 1 heaping teaspoon vegetable shortening
- Additional melted butterscotch chips or white chocolate chips for garnish (optional)
- Peel and slice bananas into 1 inch slices. Place slices onto a baking tray and freeze for 2-3 hours.
- In a small microwaveable bowl, put the chocolate chips and vegetable shortening. Microwave on high for 30 seconds. STIR. Melt an additional 30 seconds. Remove chocolate mixture and stir until completely smooth.
- Dip each frozen slice of banana into melted chocolate. Remove from chocolate (a fork works well), letting excess chocolate drip back into bowl. Place banana onto parchment paper or aluminum foil to harden. Repeat process with other banana slices. If desired, drizzle with additional melted white chocolate or butterscotch.
- Place cookie tray back into freezer. Freeze chocolate dipped banana bites for 2 additional hours or until frozen solid.
- Keep frozen banana bites in a sealed container in freezer.
No matter what kind of baking chip you use, the ratio is still the same: 1 cup chips to 1 heaping teaspoon vegetable shortening.
Here’s one more to pin on your Pinterest boards!