Hawaiian Macaroni Salad is a creamy, delicious, easy to prepare side dish with a few simple ingredients! It’s so good it will have you saying “Aloha”.I found a simple recipe for a Hawaiian Macaroni Salad while searching online the other day. I first tried Hawaiian macaroni salad (and loved it) several months ago, when our oldest son dropped by our home with pulled pork and macaroni salad he picked up from a local, well known authentic Hawaiian restaurant.
We loved this recipe! I grew up not really liking “regular” macaroni salad, due to all the sweet pickle relish my Mom put in the recipe (not a big fan!). Perhaps that is why I really like this simple, creamy Hawaiian-style macaroni salad, made with a few simple ingredients (and no pickle relish!) Finely shredded carrots are what give this tasty salad it’s slight orange coloring. Here’s how to make this fantastic “Hawaiian-style” side dish:
Scroll Down For A Printable Recipe Card At The Bottom Of The Page
How To Make Hawaiian Macaroni Salad
Cook one pound (16 ounces) of elbow macaroni according to package instructions.
Finely shred the carrots and onion while the macaroni is cooking. I used the smaller opening of my hand grater to finely shred both the carrots and the onion.
Drain Macaroni, But Do Not Let It Cool
When the macaroni has finished cooking, drain it well, but don’t let it cool off. Just let the water drain out, but don’t rinse the noodles. The hot macaroni will absorb more if it mixed while still hot.
Put the macaroni in a bowl, or container with a lid. While the macaroni is still hot, add apple cider vinegar, carrots and onion. Stir well. After ingredients are mixed together, let it cool for about 15 minutes.
While macaroni is cooling off, mix together mayonnaise, milk and sugar in a separate container. Once macaroni is completely cool, add the mayonnaise mixture; gently stir it in, until ingredients are fully combined.
Time To Refrigerate The Hawaiian Macaroni Salad
After ingredients are completely mixed together, add salt and black pepper, to taste. At this point the salad will seem “wet” , but never fear! The macaroni will absorb lots of the moisture as it refrigerates.
Cover the salad and refrigerate for at LEAST 4 hours (trust me, the longer it refrigerates, the better it tastes!). Make sure to give it a stir before serving, then enjoy this great side dish with some pulled pork (and rice), for an authentic Hawaiian meal!
I’m really glad I made this Hawaiian macaroni salad. I kept coming back and having a few bites of it here and there (couldn’t stay out of it!). I even invited our son over to taste test it, and he loved it (and took some home for later)! It is (or WAS… we scarfed it) delicious, simple to prepare, very creamy (like it’s supposed to be), and a great side dish. Hope you’ll give it a try!
Looking For More SIDE SALAD Recipes?
You can find ALL my recipes in the Recipe Index, located at the top of the page. I have lots of side salad recipes you might enjoy, including:
Interested In More Recipes?
Thank you for visiting this website. I appreciate you using some of your valuable time to do so. If you’re interested, I publish a newsletter 2 times per month (1st and 15th) with all the latest recipes, and other fun info. I would be honored to have you join our growing list of subscribers, so you never miss a great recipe!
There is a Newsletter subscription box on the top right side (or bottom) of each blog post, depending on the device you use, where you can easily submit your e-mail address (only) to be included in my mailing list.
You Can Also Find Me On Social Media:
Facebook page: The Grateful Girl Cooks!
Pinterest: The Grateful Girl Cooks!
Recipe Source: http://www.favfamilyrecipes.com/authentic-hawaiian-macaroni-salad.html
Hawaiian Macaroni Salad is a creamy, delicious, easy to prepare side dish with a few simple ingredients! It's so good it will have you saying "Aloha!"
- 1 pound elbow macaroni , uncooked
- 2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 large carrots , finely shredded
- 1/4 cup finely shredded onion
- 2 1/2 cups mayonnaise (Best Foods or Hellman's recommended by original source)
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- Salt and pepper , to taste
- Prepare the elbow macaroni, according to package instructions. When done, drain macaroni and put it into a large bowl while still hot.
- While the macaroni is hot, add the apple cider vinegar, shredded carrots and shredded onion. Stir and mix well. Let the macaroni cool down for 15 minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix the mayonnaise, milk, and granulated sugar together until fully combined. Gently stir in the mayonnaise mixture into the macaroni (which is now at room temp). Stir until all ingredients are fully coated. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Cover bowl; place salad in refrigerator for at least 4 hours (or overnight-the longer it refrigerates, the better it will taste!). When ready to serve, give the salad a light stir... and enjoy!
Here’s one more to pin on your Pinterest boards!