Broccoli Salad is one of my all-time favorite side dishes! I choose it often (if offered) at salad bars, but love to make it at home, too! Guess what? You can have this delicious crunchy salad made (and in the refrigerator) in a flash; it’s an EASY make ahead side dish for BBQ’s or potlucks!
I received this recipe close to 37 years ago from an older woman named Fern in the church we attended. She brought this salad to a church potluck – I loved it, and asked her for the recipe. She kindly gave it to me, and the rest is HISTORY. Nothing dramatic, just my true story.
This salad is SO EASY to make… it features raw fresh broccoli (chopped), raisins, crispy bacon, red onion, sunflower seeds in a creamy dressing. Here’s the “cast of characters”:
The creamy dressing is mixed together, and added to the salad. Salad is then stirred to combine all ingredients, covered with plastic wrap and put in the refrigerator.
The salad is at it’s very best if chilled overnight (the flavors really come together this way), but if you’re short on time, make it up in the morning and let it refrigerate at least 4-6 hours for great flavor!
Once the broccoli salad has had plenty of chilling time, serve it up! It’s always a BIG HIT, and TASTES SO GOOD! The crunch of the sunflower seeds and broccoli, the slight sweetness of the raisins, and saltiness of the cooked bacon pieces… combine for a PERFECT COMBO!
It’s so easy to make this classic salad in the comfort of your own home! I think you will also be surprised at how fast this salad disappears at a potluck or BBQ! The flavors are at their very BEST if made the day before you wish to serve it! Sure hope you’ll consider making this yummy side dish! It’s simple, easy to make, delicious… and I’m pretty sure you’re gonna LOVE it!
Have a fantastic day! God Bless You-
Recipe Source: Fern Bain
- 6 cups fresh broccoli , chopped (2 large bunches)
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 small red onion , chopped
- 5 slices crispy cooked bacon (5-6 slices), crumbled
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- Place salad ingredients into a large serving bowl.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk together the dressing ingredients. Pour over the salad ingredients, and mix well, to combine. Cover bowl and refrigerate for at least 4-6 hours. (I think it tastes BEST if you refrigerate it overnight. The longer it chills, the flavors come together even better!
- Serve, and enjoy! Keep leftovers refrigerated!
Looking to cut out some of the calories? Use Light Mayonnaise and/or turkey bacon!
May substitute slivered almonds for sunflower seeds, if desired. May substitute dried cranberries for raisins, if desired. They look good if you make this salad around Christmas time!
Here’s one more to pin on your Pinterest boards!