What do you get if carrot cake gets married to zucchini bread? This! Carrot Zucchini Bread.
I found this recipe online and decided to try it and use up some of the frozen, grated zucchini hanging out in my freezer since last summer. It was a great find. I made this loaf yesterday…the flavor combo of the zucchini, carrots, brown sugar and cinnamon is a winning one, for sure! Then to top it all off (quite literally!), the cream cheese pecan frosting is fantastic!
The bread was easy to prepare, and very tasty! I had a slice this morning with my coffee. Delicious! I must say I enjoyed the flavors and the moist texture of this carrot zucchini bread very much. The recipe makes 2 loaves, and is easily cut in half in case you only want one loaf (like me), so it’s a win-win!
Hope you will give this a try…and I hope you enjoy it, also!
Recipe Adapted From: http://www.howtoinstructions.us/carrot-zucchini-bread/#.U5MvNCi4mSq
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 3/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable (or canola) oil
- 6 Tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups finely shredded , peeled carrots (about 3 medium carrots)
- 1 1/2 cups finely grated , shredded zucchini (and drained well, if using frozen)
- 6 Tablespoons butter , softened
- 5 oz. cream cheese , softened
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans (or walnuts, if desired)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. While oven is preheating, coat 2 8x4 inch loaf pans with non stick baking spray, then lightly flour pans.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg together. Set aside.
- In another large mixing bowl place the granulated and brown sugars; whisk these until combined.
- Add the vegetable oil, applesauce, eggs, and vanilla to the sugar mixture; mix until well incorporated.
- Stir the shredded carrots and zucchini into this mixture.
- Add the flour mixture to the carrot zucchini mixing bowl all at once. Stir this only until combined.
- Divide the bread batter into the two loaf pans.
- Place loaf pans in oven. Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes, then without removing loaves from oven, quickly place a piece of aluminum foil over the top of each pan (to prevent too much browning), then continue baking the bread for an additional 15-20 minutes longer.
- Remove bread from oven when toothpick inserted in middle of loaves comes out clean.
- Allow the bread to cool in the loaf pan for another 5-10 minutes, then invert it onto a wire rack and let it finish cooling.
- While bread is cooling, make the cream cheese frosting: Using a hand mixer, whip the butter and cream cheese together in a medium sized mixing bowl. When smooth and fluffy, add the powdered sugar and the vanilla. Beat this mixture on medium high speed for 2-3 minutes, until it is light and fluffy.
- Frost cooled loaf with the cream cheese frosting, then top with chopped pecans. (I just added the pecans to the frosting, by the way...no big deal).