I was in the middle of cooking last week and ran out of mayonnaise. Normally I’d run to the store, but was taking care of our sick dog Bailey, (just diagnosed with Stage 4 cancer – sigh…) and I didn’t want to leave her alone, so instead… I made Homemade Mayonnaise!
Problem solved… and it was really EASY! Have you ever made mayonnaise before? I never had before making this, and I was pleasantly surprised with the results. Here’s what you do to make your own mayonnaise, with a few simple ingredients:
Whisk egg yolk, yellow mustard, sea salt, and sugar together in a mixing bowl.
In a separate (small) bowl, stir vinegar and lemon juice together. Slowly pour half of the vinegar/lemon mixture into the egg mixture in a steady, thin stream, while whisking continuously.
Whisk briskly, until fully combined.
Add half of the oil in a slow steady stream, while whisking constantly. Don’t rush this step. Just a slow and steady stream of oil, while you briskly whisk the oil in. When you’ve whisked in half of the oil, stop and set oil aside. Now whisk in the remaining half of the vinegar/lemon mixture. Once that is blended in, finish whisking in the rest of the oil (thin, slow stream).
The mixture will be a bit lighter in color and will have thickened up quite a bit. Let it sit at room temperature for about an hour, then cover it and store in the refrigerator for up to a week.
After being refrigerated, you will really notice how much thicker it has become. When ready to use, just give it a stir.
It spreads well, and tastes like MAYO! Go figure! And just think… YOU made it all by yourself! That has to be some kind of Christmas miracle, right? I used this mayonnaise on some sandwiches, a chicken dish I cooked (Santa Fe Chicken), and in some homemade Potato Salad I made for a Memorial Day BBQ! It was all PERFECT! Hope you’ll try making this!
Now if you’re ever stranded on a desert island with all the ingredients AND a whisk (it COULD happen, right?), now you can have mayonnaise, too! Encouraging thought for the day!
Recipe Source: http://www.browneyedbaker.com/homemade-mayonnaise-recipe/#more-33784
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon prepared yellow mustard
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 pinches granulated sugar (optional, but I used it)
- 1 Tablespoon white wine vinegar (apple cider vinegar or rice wine vinegar can be substituted)
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup light olive oil
- Whisk egg yolk, mustard, salt and sugar together in mixing bowl.
- In separate bowl, combine vinegar and lemon juice. Slowly pour HALF of the vinegar/lemon mixture in a steady stream into the egg mix, making sure to whisk briskly until completely combined.
- Slowly add HALF of the olive oil in a thin, steady stream, while whisking quite briskly. Once you're added half of the olive oil, set oil aside.
- Continue slowly streaming in the remaining vinegar/lemon mixture, whisking briskly while adding.
- Now stream in the rest of the olive oil, whisking continuously the entire time you pour it in.
- Once all ingredients have been completely blended together, let the mayonnaise sit at room temperature on the counter for about an hour. After that time is up, cover the container and place in the refrigerator. Mayonnaise will keep for about a week in the refrigerator.
- When ready to use, just give it a quick stir, and you're ready to go! Enjoy!