A few years ago my husband and I were invited to some dear friends’ home for dinner. Our hostess asked me to bring dessert. I decided to “make something on the fly”, without a recipe, and this Pound Cake With Lemon Cream and Blueberry Sauce is the result!
Layers of pound cake, creamy lemon cream cheese filling, and blueberry pie filling were my “weapons of choice” when I made this. I love the flavor combo of lemons and blueberries! Because I assembled this dessert at our friends home, I did not get any additional photos, so the picture you see above is IT. BUT… here’s how I made this delicious dessert, which makes 4 servings.
I took a store-bought pound cake (in LOAF form), and cut it into 8 equal sized slices. I put one slice on each dessert plate. I spooned some of the lemon cream cheese topping over each slice, followed by a generous spoonful of blueberry pie filling. I put another slice of pound cake on top of the blueberry pie filling (but turned this slice a quarter turn). I added another generous spoonful of lemon cream cheese topping, followed by another spoonful of blueberry pie filling. I made sure with each spoonful that the filling ran over the sides of the pound cake (to make it look nice!). I garnished it with a couple of mint leaves and candied lemon peel (here’s my recipe: http://www.thegratefulgirlcooks.com/candied-citrus-peels/).
It was a very easy dessert to assemble… and we all agreed it was delicious! The recipe was made even easier (and quicker) by using store-bought pound cake and blueberry pie filling, which helped make this a real time-saver! All I had to do was make the lemon topping, and the rest was SIMPLE! Hope you will give this easy dessert a try! It’s a piece of CAKE!
- 2 - 8 ounce packages cream cheese (room temp)
- 1¼ cups powdered sugar
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon lemon extract
- 8 ounces Cool Whip, thawed
- 1 Tablespoon lemon zest
- Pound Cake (in loaf form)
- 2 cans blueberry pie filling
- Min leaves for garnish (optional)
- Candied Lemon Peel for garnish (optional)
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese, powdered sugar, vanilla and lemon extracts until smooth. Gently fold in Cool Whip until mixture is creamy and well combined.
- Slice pound cake loaf into 8 equal sized slices. Place 1 slice of pound cake onto 4 dessert plates. Spoon a generous amount of lemon cream cheese filling over each slice, letting some run over the edges. Spoon blueberry pie filling over cream cheese topping.
- Place a second slice of pound cake on top of the blueberry sauce, at a 90 degree quarter turn.
- Repeat layer of lemon cream cheese topping, then blueberry pie filling.
- Make sure some of the topping runs over the side.
- Garnish the dessert with mint leaves and candied lemon peels, if desired. (Totally optional!)
- Serve and enjoy!