Ah… there’s nothing like a good cup of coffee and a good muffin – especially these Triple Chocolate Zucchini Muffins! Chocolate AND zucchini for breakfast? They MUST be healthy, right?
Seriously… chocolate AND zucchini? Who knew?
I found this recipe for muffins on Pinterest several months ago (where else?). These are extremely “chocolate-y” muffins (3 types of chocolate), and surprisingly, has zucchini as a secret ingredient! I’m pretty positive the fact that there is a vegetable inside these muffins makes them HEALTHY, right? RIGHT.
Here’s something I read this morning: “But I trust in Your unfailing love; my heart rejoices in your salvation. I will sing to the Lord for He has been good to me.” (Psalm 13:5-6).
I love those verses from the Bible. I am reminded daily of the never-ending love God has for me. He HAS been trustworthy, good, and faithful to me (and our family) over the course of a lifetime of good times, bad times, and everything else in-between…for that I am so grateful! I love to have quiet time in the early morning hours…I delight in this time with God, little old me, and a couple cups of strong coffee. Occasionally I will make muffins and of course, I invite one of the muffins to join me in this special time… where I feed my soul and my tummy.
Maybe you’re looking for a new muffin recipe. Maybe you get excited about camouflaging a vegetable in your child’s chocolate muffin (hey, we do what we have to, to get them to eat their veggies!…) These muffins are easy to make and extremely yummy; I sure hope you will enjoy them! The recipe as written makes quite a lot of muffins… they are easily “freezeable”, if wrapped and sealed well!
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup canola oil (I used vegetable)
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 2 1/2 cups grated zucchini (well drained/pressed to reduce water content)
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 oz. dark chocolate , chopped
- Cooking spray
- 2 Tablespoons confectioners sugar (powdered), to sift on top of baked muffins
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, place the eggs, sugar and oil. Whisk these together until smooth.
- Add the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cocoa powder to the egg mixture; mix these ingredients very well.
- Add in the drained/pressed grated zucchini, along with the chocolate chips and the dark chocolate pieces. Stir well by hand until ingredients are completely blended.
- Take the cooking spray and spray your standard sized muffin tins (liners are optional...I didn't use them).
- Fill the muffin pans about 3/4 of the way to the top with the batter. There is enough batter to yield approx. 30 muffins.
- I sprinkled a few extra chocolate chips on top before baking. (this is optional)
- Bake the muffins at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until the top springs back when touched. Remove muffins from oven and cool. Dust with sifted powdered sugar for a nice presentation.