The recipe I am posting today is for Vegetarian-Spicy Noodles In Peanut Sauce. The recipe is SO EASY! The plus side is that it is a vegetarian entree, for all my friends and family who choose to not eat meat. (But it’s fabulous and filling for meat-lovers, also!)
A couple of years ago, our youngest son (a big steak and burger loving guy), decided to become a vegetarian. We were surprised, but respect his right as a grown man to eat or not eat whatever he chooses. I’ve had to adjust my menus when he comes over for a meal, but that’s really no big deal for the most part. Well, THIS recipe is one he would LOVE!!!
The Thai-inspired peanut sauce is full of flavor and coats the noodles well. This dish is on the table in a flash, is a cinch to make, AND is will delight your taste buds, even if you are not a vegetarian. Trust me… this is GOOD! Hope you’ll give it a try.
Sauce recipe source:
- 1 cup smooth peanut butter
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 3 tsp. chili paste (also may substitute 2 teaspoons Sriracha sauce)
- 2 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 limes, juiced
- ½ cup hot water
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon sesame oil
- ½ lb. spaghetti or angel hair pasta
- 1 large carrot, julienned (matchstick cut)
- 1 small can water chestnuts, drained
- Handful of roasted peanuts, chopped for garnish
- ½ bunch of cilantro, chopped (stems discarded) Save small amount for garnish on top of dish.
- Make the sauce: Put all sauce ingredients in a medium sized bowl and whisk or mix until fully combined. Cover and store in the refrigerator until needed (can be made ahead).
- Blanch the sliced (matchstick) carrots in boiling water for approximately 3 minutes, pulling them out and draining while they are still bright and crisp.
- Cook pasta noodles per package directions. Place drained, hot pasta in a large bowl with the carrots, water chestnuts and cilantro (save a bit of cilantro for garnish!).
- Pour the peanut sauce over the pasta and toss well, to coat.
- To serve: Top pasta with additional cilantro and the chopped peanuts.