Here’s the small amount I picked yesterday…
So once again I found myself with fresh picked kale, looking for a new, creative way to enjoy this wonder-veggie, straight from our garden. I found this recipe on Pinterest and decided to give it a try.
I made it yesterday afternoon (only took about 15 minutes prep) and served it on the side with our dinner. My husband and I LOVED it! The Asian sauce makes this kale slaw shine! This is an amazingly wonderful, crunchy and delicious side salad that I really hope you will enjoy. It’s also a great way to “eat your veggies” (as my Mom used to say to me and my sisters…) Yum!
Recipe Source: http://www.tasteloveandnourish.com/2013/07/19/asian-kale-slaw/
- 1 bunch curly kale , shredded/cut into thin strips
- 1/2 head red/purple cabbage , shredded
- 3-4 medium carrots , shredded
- 4 green onions , sliced thin (green and white parts)
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 3 Tablespoons lime juice
- 1 Tablespoon fresh grated ginger
- 3 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 Tablespoon sesame seeds , lightly toasted (dry "toast" them in a skillet for a couple minutes)
- 1/2 cup almond slivers , toasted (same method as sesame seeds)
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Using a knife, thinly slice/shred the kale leaves, removing/discarding the large, thick stems. **Don't use a food processor for this, as it will shred the kale too fine**
- Thinly slice/shred the red cabbage and green onions. Place in a large serving bowl.
- Grate the carrots into the bowl, using a hand/box grater.
- In a small bowl, combine the soy sauce, lime juice, ginger, apple cider vinegar, brown sugar, sesame oil and vegetable oil. Mix well to combine.
- Pour this dressing over the shredded slaw. Toss slaw until coated; cover and refrigerate for at least 15-20 minutes.
- When ready to serve, sprinkle the top of the slaw with toasted sesame seeds, almond slices and sea salt. Toss the salad again.
- If you would like, garnish the top of the slaw with a few almonds and sesame seeds. SERVE AND ENJOY!
*Recipe can be easily halved for smaller amounts.