Make thick, creamy Southern BACON Gravy for biscuits- from scratch! Easy to make, and tastes absolutely DELICIOUS!
I grew up loving biscuits and gravy! It was always a big treat when my Mom (a Texas girl) made us Southern Bacon Gravy For Biscuits. Can there be anything better than fresh, fluffy biscuits smothered in a thick gravy made with BACON? Now I will concede that biscuits and gravy will probably not help you get that girlish figure you’ve always wanted, but sometimes you simply want a hearty breakfast that fills you up!
I’ve made biscuits and gravy so many times over the course of my almost 40 year marriage I can’t even count them. My hubby LOVES it when I make biscuits and gravy for breakfast (must be HIS Southern heritage, too)!
Scroll Down For A Printable Recipe Card At the Bottom Of The Page
SO HOW DO I MAKE SOUTHERN BACON GRAVY?
Well- I’m glad you asked. Here’s how I make ’em: First cook the bacon until it is crispy.
Once the bacon is done, remove it from pan to a paper towel, to drain off any remaining grease. When the bacon is cool enough to handle, crumble it into small pieces.
Do not wipe out the skillet you cooked the bacon in. Discard MOST of the bacon grease (I save mine in a jar in the freezer), BUT KEEP ABOUT 2 TABLESPOONS IN THE SKILLET (My Mom calls this Liquid Gold – ha ha). See all those little bitty bacon bits on the bottom of the skillet? Those, plus the bacon grease will incorporate LOTS of flavor into your gravy!
Mixing the Gravy
In a bowl or measuring cup, whisk together milk, flour, pepper and salt, until lump free.
Put the bacon crumbles and the milk/flour mixture into the skillet. Heat on medium, stirring constantly, until it comes to a boil. Reduce heat a bit, continuing to stir while the mixture thickens. Absolutely give it a taste, to check for seasoning. I always add a lot of pepper, and usually more salt to get it to taste just right!
Once the gravy has thickened, add a Tablespoon (or two!) of cold butter. Stir until butter is melted and incorporated into gravy.
It’s a fairly thick gravy. See how it coats the spoon when done?
Time To Eat Some Southern Bacon Gravy For Biscuits!
Once bacon gravy is heated through, seasoned to taste, etc. get your warm biscuits ready! Split them in half and place them on a plate. I used my recipe for homemade Southern Buttermilk Biscuits here. They’re nice and tall, but any store bought biscuits will do just fine!
Spoon the hot bacon gravy over each biscuit half. Smother them good!
That’s IT! Grab a fork, and dive on in! Biscuits n’ Gravy may not be so good for your HIPS, but, mercy… they sure taste good on the LIPS! (Go take a long walk after breakfast… it’s all about balance, right?). I really think you’re gonna LOVE this gravy! Bacon really DOES make everything BETTER!
The gravy can be refrigerated if you have leftovers. Cover it well, and it will keep for a couple days. Reheat (you might need to add a touch of milk), stir it well, and it will be ready to eat again!
I see biscuits and gravy on the menu at lots of restaurants that serve breakfast, but honestly, I’d rather have my homemade version. It’s DELICIOUS (and inexpensive too!). Have a great day, and give this bacon gravy a try on your favorite biscuit. I think you will LOVE it! Don’t forget to check out ALL of my recipes in the Recipe Index, located at the top of the page.
Interested In More Recipes?
Thank you for visiting this website. I appreciate you using some of your valuable time to do so. If you’re interested, I publish a newsletter 2 times per month (1st and 15th) with all the latest recipes, and other fun info. I would be honored to have you join our growing list of subscribers, so you never miss a great recipe!
There is a Newsletter subscription box on the top right side (or bottom) of each blog post, depending on the device you use, where you can easily submit your e-mail address (only) to be included in my mailing list.
You Can Also Find Me On Social Media:
Facebook page: The Grateful Girl Cooks!
Pinterest: The Grateful Girl Cooks!
Recipe Source: My Mom
- 2 cups milk
- 2 Tablespoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 pieces bacon , cooked until crisp (RESERVE 2 Tablespoons bacon grease in skillet)
- 1-2 Tablespoons cold butter
- 8 warm biscuits (pre-cooked, or bake them while cooking bacon)
- Cook bacon in large skillet until crispy. Remove cooked bacon to paper towels to absorb grease. When cool, crumble bacon into small pieces. Set aside.
- Do NOT clean skillet. Leave 2 Tablespoons bacon grease in skillet. Discard the rest.
- In separate bowl or container, whisk together milk, flour, salt and pepper, until lump-free. Pour the milk/flour mixture into skillet with remaining bacon grease. Add crumbled bacon pieces. Heat mixture on medium (whisking/stirring constantly) until it comes to a boil; reduce heat a bit, and continue cooking and stirring, until gravy has thickened (5-6 minutes). Give it a taste test.
- Add additional salt and pepper, to taste (I ALWAYS add more). Once gravy has thickened, add 1-2 Tablespoons cold butter. Stir until butter is melted, incorporated into gravy, and mixture is heated through.
- Slice warm biscuits in half horizontally. Place biscuit halves onto serving plate. Spoon hot gravy over each half. Serve and enjoy!
In the words of my Mom... "you can't have enough pepper in this gravy!". Don't be afraid to season this gravy well! Taste, taste, taste, and add salt and pepper until it tastes exactly the way you want it to. *Caloric calculation is for gravy only.
Here’s one more to pin on your Pinterest boards!