Baked Parmesan Zucchini Fries are a delicious family-friendly way to get kids (and adults) to EAT THEIR VEGGIES! Baked (not fried) to a crispy finish, and served with a cool, seasoned dipping sauce on the side, these “fries” won’t last long, as a side dish or an appetizer!
The zucchini are crispy on the outside, and have lots of flavor with the simple coating, and the PLUS is that they are BAKED, not FRIED. They are really very easy to prepare, and it’s a great way to get more veggies into the food rotation in a fun way (especially if the kids like french fries)! Zucchini fries are delicious baked and eaten without any accompaniments, but I like to dip them in a tasty sauce (or ranch dressing).
This time I made up a quick and simple Mexican-spiced dip/sauce (with some of my favorite spices), to serve on the side, by combining non-fat plain Greek yogurt with a Tablespoon of mayonnaise and added cumin, garlic powder, chili powder, and paprika until blended. The dipping sauce has good Southwestern flavor, but is not too spicy, by the way! Make ahead, cover, and refrigerate until ready to use.
I used a green zucchini and a yellow zucchini to make the fries. After slicing the ends off, they were cut like this: #1 Cut each in half in the middle, #2 Cut each half in half lengthwise, and #3 Cut those pieces into 4 lengthwise slices each (so they are wedges about 1/2 an inch wide).
In a small bowl, place two eggs, and lightly beat them until combined. In another small bowl, place mix Panko crumbs, Parmesan cheese, garlic powder, salt and pepper, paprika and Italian seasoning until combined.
Dip zucchini wedges, one at a time into the egg mixture to coat. Shake off excess egg back into bowl, then dip and roll in Panko mixture to coat all sides. Place each coated piece of zucchini on a baking sheet which has been lined with aluminum foil, covered with non-stick spray. Repeat until all “fries” have been coated. Make sure to keep wedges separated on foil.
Spray the top of the zucchini with cooking spray or lightly drizzle with olive oil. Bake in a preheated 425 degree oven for 22-25 minutes, flipping zucchini fries over, half way through the cooking time. When done, the zucchini should be crisp on the outside and lightly browned.
Transfer zucchini fries to a platter, and serve with dipping sauce (if desired).
Serve, and enjoy this yummy finger food side dish (or appetizer!). Recipe is easily doubled for a larger crowd… as written, the recipe makes 32 “fries”. Hope you enjoy them… we sure did!
Zucchini Fries Recipe Source: Trish, at https://www.momontimeout.com/baked-parmesan-zucchini-fries-recipe/
- 2 zucchini (medium sized- I used 1 green and 1 yellow)
- 2 eggs , beaten lightly
- 1/2 cup Panko bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 cup non-fat Greek yogurt (can substitute sour cream)
- 1 Tablespoon Mayonnaise
- 1/4 teaspoon EACH of spices (chili powder, ground cumin, garlic powder and paprika)
- Mix Greek yogurt, mayonnaise, cumin, garlic powder, chili powder, and paprika in small bowl until blended. Cover, and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Cut both ends off each zucchini (discard). Cut each zucchini in half across the middle, then cut each half in half lengthwise, then cut those pieces into 4 lengthwise slices each (so they are wedges about 1/2 an inch wide). You should have 32 wedges.
- In a bowl, lightly beat eggs until combined. Set aside.
- In another bowl, mix Panko crumbs, Parmesan cheese, garlic powder, salt, pepper, paprika and Italian seasoning until combined.
- Dip zucchini wedges, one at a time into the egg mixture to coat. Shake excess egg back into bowl, then dip and roll zucchini slice in Panko mixture to coat all sides. Place each coated piece of zucchini on baking sheet lined with foil, and sprayed lightly with non-stick spray. Repeat until all "fries" have been coated. Keep wedges separated. Spray the top of the zucchini with cooking spray, or lightly drizzle with olive oil.
- Bake in preheated 425 degree oven for 22-25 minutes, turning zucchini slices over, half way through cooking time. When done, zucchini should be crisp on the outside and lightly browned. Transfer zucchini fries to a platter, and serve with dipping sauce (if desired).
Here’s one more to pin on your Pinterest boards!