Grab the ol’ ice cream maker and get ready to make some creamy and delicious homemade blueberry ice cream, filled with lots of yummy blueberries!
Two years ago I made blueberry ice cream as part of an Ice Cream Experiment, where I made many different varieties of ice cream with my Cuisinart ice cream maker over the course of the summer. We really enjoyed this ice cream, and I loved using some of the blueberries I picked at a local U-Pick Farm and had stored in our freezer.
I experimented with grinding frozen blueberries and sugar in my food processor until liquified. This was done, as opposed to the more “traditional” method of cooking them until the blueberries “pop” and make a thick sauce. My wish was to have little bits of “fresh, uncooked” blueberries throughout the ice cream. It worked!
This was a very easy to prepare ice cream. I also added in a block of cream cheese, to enhance to the flavor and creamy thickness of this delicious ice cream, and I’m very glad I did!
Scroll Down For A Printable Recipe Card At The Bottom Of The Page
Blueberries Ready For The Picking!
Here are the blueberries at my local U-Pick Farm, in their natural state… before I got to them! Fresh blueberries, ready for the picking!
Yeehaw! Here are the blueberries after I got to them. Look at all of them! That’s not bad, for 1½ hours of my time at our local U-Pick Farm.
I also ended up using some of the blueberry ice cream in another recipe, which we took to a friend’s home. It was a blueberry ice cream tart, and it was so yummy! I sure hope you will give this yummy blueberry ice cream a try… and really hope you enjoy it! I think the color of this ice cream is amazing!
Blueberry ice cream is good year round, and so I really hope you will try this recipe out! Have a great day!
Looking For More ICE CREAM Recipes?
You can find all of my recipes for ice cream in the Recipe Index, located at the top of the page. A few favorites include:
- Rocky Road Ice Cream
- Blueberry Cheesecake Ice Cream
- Homemade Strawberry Ice Cream
- Butter Pecan Ice Cream
Interested In More Recipes?
Thank you for visiting this website. I appreciate you using some of your valuable time to do so. If you’re interested, I publish a newsletter 2 times per month (1st and 15th) with all the latest recipes, and other fun info. I would be honored to have you join our growing list of subscribers, so you never miss a great recipe!
There is a Newsletter subscription box on the top right side (or bottom) of each blog post, depending on the device you use, where you can easily submit your e-mail address (only) to be included in my mailing list.
You Can Also Find Me On Social Media:
Facebook page: The Grateful Girl Cooks!
Pinterest: The Grateful Girl Cooks!
Recipe source: my brain, prior to “brain-freeze” (Ice cream induced!)
↓↓ PRINTABLE RECIPE BELOW ↓↓
Grab the ol' ice cream maker and get ready to make some creamy and delicious homemade blueberry ice cream, filled with lots of yummy blueberries!
- 2 cups blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 8 oz. cream cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 drops blue food coloring (this is optional...but it does enhance the color)
- Place the blueberries and granulated sugar into a food processor or heavy duty blender. (If using frozen blueberries, put them in frozen... no need to defrost). Pulse or blend until liquified.
- Cut the cream cheese into chunks and add to the blueberry mixture. Add the vanilla extract. Mix until mixture is fairly smooth.
- Add milk to mixture. Mix until well blended. Pour mixture into large bowl.
- Lightly whisk in the heavy whipping cream, until well combined.
- Pour into ice cream maker canister. Freeze according to the manufacturer's instructions. Once done, remove to sealed container, and place in freezer for an hour or two to "ripen" and firm up.
- Scoop it up when ice cream is firm... and enjoy!
Here’s one more to pin on your Pinterest boards!