Looking for a yummy breakfast treat? Try glazed homemade cinnamon rolls! Nothing says “comfort food’ like a warm, made from scratch cinnamon roll!
We had a dear friend staying with us from out of state last week. One morning for breakfast I made these Homemade Cinnamon Rolls, for an extra “sweet” start to the day. I LOVE cinnamon rolls, but don’t eat them too often! When I DO make them, they are a real treat, especially with a steaming big cup of Italian roast coffee.
I’ve made these cinnamon rolls for several years now, and am finally putting the recipe on my blog. This recipe makes 9 good sized cinnamon rolls, and they are delicious! I made a glaze to top this batch of homemade cinnamon rolls with, but in the past have also made a cream cheese frosting, which is equally delicious!
Scroll Down For A Printable Recipe Card At The Bottom Of The Page
Do I Have To Have A Bread Machine To Make Homemade Cinnamon Rolls?
You do NOT have to own a bread machine in order to make these homemade cinnamon rolls! I use my bread machine to make the dough, but recognize the fact that a lot of people don’t own a bread machine. NOTE: I have included instructions in the note section of the recipe for those who wish to make these cinnamon rolls “by hand”.
Why Does It Take So Long?
Good things (especially dough) take time! If you’ve never made cinnamon rolls before, don’t be scared off by the “prep time” involved. Most of it is waiting for the dough to rise, so you could read an epic novel, paint your nails, or call a friend while you wait. Trust me.
Making Homemade Cinnamon Rolls
The dough is mixed (by machine or hand), and then the dough rises. After the dough has finished rising, it is rolled out into a 18×9 inch rectangle.
Spread softened butter onto the surface of the dough, then cover with a cinnamon-sugar mixture. Tightly roll the dough up tightly into a long long shape, and tuck the ends in, to seal.
Carefully cut the cinnamon roll dough log into 9 equal sized pieces.
Place the slices, cut side up, in a prepared baking pan. Cover the pan, and let the dough rise again.
Once the homemade cinnamon rolls have doubled in size, they are ready to bake!
The homemade cinnamon rolls bake for 25-30 minutes in a preheated oven. Once done, a simple glaze is spread over the top of the rolls.
Time To Eat!
Here’s what one of the cinnamon rolls looks like on a plate. Each layer inside is coated with cinnamon, sugar and butter, and boy, are these rolls delicious!
Hope you will give this recipe for homemade cinnamon rolls a try. It is very economical to make these decadent treats, considering the cost of store-bought pastries these days. Enjoy!
Looking For More Decadent Breakfast Treats?
You can find all of my recipes in the Recipe Index, located at the top of the page. A few decadent treats we occasionally have for breakfast include:
Interested In More Recipes?
Thank you for visiting this website. I appreciate you using some of your valuable time to do so. If you’re interested, I publish a newsletter 2 times per month (1st and 15th) with all the latest recipes, and other fun info. I would be honored to have you join our growing list of subscribers, so you never miss a great recipe!
There is a Newsletter subscription box on the top right side (or bottom) of each blog post, depending on the device you use, where you can easily submit your e-mail address (only) to be included in my mailing list.
You Can Also Find Me On Social Media:
Facebook page: The Grateful Girl Cooks!
Pinterest: The Grateful Girl Cooks!
Original Recipe Source: Oster Deluxe Bread & Dough Maker Owner’s Manual, copyright 1994, Sunbeam-Oster Household Products
Looking for a yummy breakfast treat? Try glazed homemade cinnamon rolls! Nothing says "comfort food' like a warm, made from scratch cinnamon roll!
- 1 cup water
- 2 Tablespoons butter , softened
- 1 large egg
- 3 1/3 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons regular active dry yeast or bread machine yeast
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 Tablespoons butter , softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-2 Tablespoons milk
- Place all dough ingredients into bread machine pan in the order listed. Select Dough cycle. (if making these by hand, see NOTES section of this recipe).
- Spray a 9x9x2 inch square pan with non-stick spray. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix 1/3 cup sugar and the cinnamon for the filling.
- When dough is ready, roll the dough out on a lightly floured surface into a 18x9 inch rectangle.
- Spread the dough with the softened butter. Sprinkle the entire surface of the dough with the cinnamon sugar mixture.
- Roll the dough up tightly, BEGINNING AT THE 9" SIDE. Pinch or tuck the ends and edges into the roll to seal. Place roll seam side down.
- Cut the roll into nine 1 inch slices. Carefully place each slice into prepared baking dish. Cover dish with tea towel, and let the dough rise in a warm place for about an hour, until slices have doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Remove cover from rolls. Cook at 375 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until the rolls are golden brown. Remove pan from oven to a wire rack to cool.
- In a small bowl, mix the powdered sugar, vanilla and milk until the glaze is smooth and thin enough to drizzle.
- Drizzle the glaze over the tops of the cinnamon rolls to cover the tops completely. Let cinnamon rolls cool off slightly, so the glaze begins to firm up, then remove them from pan and serve. Enjoy!
To make by hand: Dissolve yeast in warm water in lg. bowl. Add/mix in the butter, egg, flour, sugar and salt. Mix well. Knead dough into a large ball on lightly floured surface. Spray a large mixing bowl with non-stick spray. Place dough ball into bowl. Turn dough over to coat with the spray. Cover dough with tea towel. Let rise in warm place for about an hour until doubled in size. Proceed with rest of recipe, beginning at Step 2.
Here’s one more to pin on your Pinterest boards!