We’ve been experiencing a bit of a heat wave here in the Pacific Northwest. I’ve been avoiding turning on our oven at all costs, to keep our kitchen cool. We’ve been grilling dinners outside, but last week I decided to try a new meatless recipe for Ravioli, with Mushrooms and Snap Peas, easily made on our stove top (thankfully…no oven involved).
The recipe calls for a package of refrigerated ravioli. I’ve never bought pre-made, packaged cheese ravioli before. I like to make my own ravioli…so I did! I ended up making a batch of cheese/spinach ravioli for this recipe, but I will post the original recipe the author used (I found the recipe on Pinterest via Taste of Home magazine).
My husband and I loved this recipe! I made a few slight changes to the original (added additional parmesan to sauce, used pistachios instead of hazelnuts, used regular milk instead of evaporated, etc.). The end result was a delicious, unique, and filling entree; the sauce on the ravioli was mild, yet full of flavor. I’ve never added snap peas to any pasta recipe before, but we found the crunchy texture was a welcome addition to this dish, along with the fresh sage, lemon, mushrooms, and parmesan cheese!
Hope you will give this great dish a try! I think you will really enjoy it!
Recipe Adapted From: http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/ravioli-with-snap-peas—mushrooms
- 1 package (20 ounces) refrigerated cheese ravioli (or make your own!)
- 1 pound fresh sugar snap peas, trimmed
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- ½ pound (8 ounces) sliced fresh mushrooms (I used baby portobellas)
- 3 shallots, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups milk (original recipe calls for evaporated milk - I used regular)
- 8 fresh sage leaves, thinly sliced (or 2 teaspoons dried sage - I used fresh)
- 1½ teaspoons fresh finely grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese (for sauce)
- ¼ cup shelled and chopped pistachios, for garnish (original recipe used roasted hazelnuts)
- ¼ cup shredded parmesan cheese (for garnishing each dish)
- Cook the ravioli per package instructions, in a large saucepan. During the last 3 minutes, add the sugar snap peas to the water. When done, drain pasta and snap peas.
- While the pasta cooks, heat the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once melted, add the mushrooms, shallots and garlic. Cook this until the mushrooms become tender.
- Stir the milk, sage slices, grated lemon peel, lemon pepper, black pepper into the mushroom mixture; bring the ingredients to a boil. Add the ½ cup parmesan cheese, reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, for approximately 2-3 minutes or until sauce has thickened up a bit.
- Gently add the cooked and drained ravioli and snap peas to the sauce; gently mix to combine and heat through.
- When ravioli is hot, place portions on each serving plate. Garnish each serving with additional grated parmesan cheese, followed by chopped pistachios. Serve and enjoy!