Classic BBQ Shredded Pork Hoagies, topped with a slightly spicy and crunchy slaw. This is a great way to use leftover pork to make a new lunch or dinner!
Do you like leftovers? We like them, but sometimes it can get “old” eating leftovers (even if original recipe was fantastic!). Such was the case a few weeks ago, so I “morphed” the leftovers from a pork roast into BBQ Shredded Pork Hoagies with Spicy Slaw. YUM.
We had leftovers from a Pork Tenderloin with Cranberry-Raspberry Sauce recently. Since there was a bit of pork still waiting to be eaten (there’s only 2 of us), I decided to morph the leftover pork into a completely new meal!
That’s how we ended up with these delicious BBQ Shredded Pork Hoagies with Spicy Slaw. The spicy slaw recipe is from a previous recipe I posted for a Fried Chicken, Spicy Mayo and Slaw Sandwich.
Scroll Down For A Printable Recipe Card At the Bottom Of the Page
How I Made The BBQ Shredded Pork Hoagies
I took the leftover pork slices and added lots of BBQ sauce. Then I threw it all back into my slow cooker and let it cook all day (at least 5-6 hours).
Note: ANY leftover boneless pork chops or pork roast will work fine! You can also BUY precooked BBQ pork if you want. This would allow you to skip this next part, but this is how I did it (to use up our leftovers).
The leftover pork had some of the sauce from the pork tenderloin left on it. You can also see some of the leftover cranberries, too. I threw the pork slices into the crock pot, along with the BBQ sauce and a tiny bit of water. You can see a few of the cranberries floating around in this photo.
After the meat and sauce had cooked for 5-6 hours I easily shredded the pork (with two forks) and added even more BBQ sauce.
Another Way To Make The Shredded Pork Without Using A Crock Pot
You can always shred leftover pieces of tender pork roast (without any sauce on it), THEN add the BBQ sauce. That way, you don’t have to use a crock pot.
All you need to do is mix the plain shredded pork with BBQ sauce and heat, before making the hoagies. The picture below shows this plain, unadorned shredded pork.
Making The Spicy Slaw For Sandwich
Once pork is shredded, coated with BBQ sauce and reheated, all you need to do is prepare the spicy slaw mixture. Make the spicy slaw by mixing ingredients in a small bowl. There are only 5 simple ingredients, and it is EASY to make! Refrigerate slaw until you’re ready to put it on the hoagies!
To Make BBQ Shredded Pork Hoagies
Spread some hoagie rolls with butter, then lightly grill them until golden brown and slightly crisp. This will help the bread to not get too soggy, once you add the BBQ shredded pork.
Top the toasted hoagie rolls with hot shredded BBQ pork, then add the cold, spicy slaw.
If desired, you can slice the BBQ shredded pork hoagies in half. Serve this delicious sandwich hot, and enjoy!!!
Hope you enjoy these BBQ shredded pork hoagies! It’s a great way to use leftover pork, without having to toss it or have it dry out in the refrigerator!
Looking For More SANDWICH Recipes?
You can find ALL of my recipes in the Recipe Index, located at the top of the page. I have some sandwich recipes that you’ll enjoy, including:
- Grilled Pork Tenderloin Sandwich with Mozzarella and Caramelized Onions
- “Thai” PB&J Sandwich
- Grilled Patty Melt
- Santa Fe Chicken Sandwich (copycat)
Interested In More Recipes?
Thank you for visiting this website. I appreciate you using some of your valuable time to do so. If you’re interested, I publish a newsletter 2 times per month (1st and 15th) with all the latest recipes, and other fun info. I would be honored to have you join our growing list of subscribers, so you never miss a great recipe!
There is a Newsletter subscription box on the top right side (or bottom) of each blog post, depending on the device you use, where you can easily submit your e-mail address (only) to be included in my mailing list.
You Can Also Find Me On Social Media:
Facebook page: The Grateful Girl Cooks!
Pinterest: The Grateful Girl Cooks!
- Shredded pork (quantity-as much or as little as you wish)
- BBQ sauce (enough to fully saturate the amount of shredded pork you will use)
- 4 Hoagie rolls (one per sandwich)
- 4 Tablespoons Butter (to spread on rolls before grilling)
- 1 garlic clove , finely chopped
- 1/2 small red onion , thinly sliced, chopped
- 1 jalapeno , finely chopped
- 4 cups thinly sliced green cabbage
- 1/2 cup Bread and Butter pickle slices , plus 1/4 cup pickle juice from jar
- Cook pork or leftover pork in slow cooker for several hours until completely tender. Using two forks, shred the pork. Put back into slow cooker and add sufficient BBQ sauce to completely coat meat. Heat thoroughly (can also heat the shredded BBQ pork in microwave, if desired).
- Make spicy slaw while pork is heating: Mix all slaw ingredients in a small bowl; toss to combine, then cover and refrigerate until ready to build the sandwiches.
- Spread each half of the hoagie rolls with butter. Grill until they are golden brown.
- Place grilled roll on serving dish. Spread hot BBQ shredded pork on top of one half of the roll. Spoon some cold spicy slaw evenly over the pork. Place top bun on the hoagie, and serve!
Cook time varies. Cooking time shown is based on having pre-cooked pork available when you start this recipe. Once you have the precooked, shredded pork coated with BBQ sauce and hot, you can have the sandwiches finished in about 10 minutes.
My other advice is to try and make the spicy slaw several hours before serving. The flavors really develop well, the longer it is refrigerated!
Here’s one more to pin on your Pinterest boards!