We’ve been experiencing a bit of a heat wave here in the Pacific Northwest. I’ve been avoiding turning on our oven at all costs, to keep our kitchen cool. We’ve been grilling dinners outside, but last week I decided to try a new meatless recipe for Ravioli, with Mushrooms and Snap Peas, easily made on our stove top (thankfully…no oven involved).
The recipe calls for a package of refrigerated ravioli. I’ve never bought pre-made, packaged cheese ravioli before. I like to make my own ravioli…so I did! I ended up making a batch of cheese/spinach ravioli for this recipe, but I will post the original recipe the author used (I found the recipe on Pinterest via Taste of Home magazine).
My husband and I loved this recipe! I made a few slight changes to the original (added additional Parmesan to sauce, used pistachios instead of hazelnuts, used regular milk instead of evaporated, etc.). The end result was a delicious, unique and filling entree; the sauce on the ravioli was mild, yet full of flavor. I’ve never added snap peas to any pasta recipe before, but found the crunchy texture was a welcome addition to this dish, along with the fresh sage, lemon, mushrooms, and Parmesan cheese!
Hope you will give this great dish a try! I think you will really enjoy it!
Recipe Adapted From: http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/ravioli-with-snap-peas—mushrooms
- 1 package (20 ounces) refrigerated cheese ravioli (or make your own!)
- 1 pound fresh sugar snap peas, trimmed
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- ½ pound (8 ounces) sliced fresh mushrooms (I used baby portobellas)
- 3 shallots, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups milk (original recipe calls for evaporated milk - I used regular)
- 8 fresh sage leaves, thinly sliced (or 2 teaspoons dried sage - I used fresh)
- 1½ teaspoons fresh finely grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese (for sauce)
- ¼ cup shelled and chopped pistachios, for garnish (original recipe used roasted hazelnuts)
- ¼ cup shredded parmesan cheese (for garnishing each dish)
- Cook the ravioli per package instructions, in a large saucepan. During the last 3 minutes, add the sugar snap peas to the water. When done, drain pasta and snap peas.
- While the pasta cooks, heat the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once melted, add the mushrooms, shallots and garlic. Cook this until the mushrooms become tender.
- Stir the milk, sage slices, grated lemon peel, lemon pepper, black pepper into the mushroom mixture; bring the ingredients to a boil. Add the ½ cup parmesan cheese, reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, for approximately 2-3 minutes or until sauce has thickened up a bit.
- Gently add the cooked and drained ravioli and snap peas to the sauce; gently mix to combine and heat through.
- When ravioli is hot, place portions on each serving plate. Garnish each serving with additional grated parmesan cheese, followed by chopped pistachios. Serve and enjoy!
Here’s one more to pin on your Pinterest boards!