I Love To Grow Lettuces And Other Spring Greens!
By the time our lettuce beds are fully mature, my husband and I are eating salads with just about every meal, and I am giving away salad greens to our sons, neighbors and friends by the bagful (I feel so blessed to have “more than enough”, and like to share).
I found a recipe for a salad dressing in one of my old “Taste of Home” magazines for an orange juice vinaigrette, and it piqued my interest. This interest led to me playing around with the recipe a bit. Eventually I came up with this delicious spring greens salad and dressing.
Use Any Variety Spring Greens!
Basically you can use any types of spring lettuces available (romaine, iceberg, red leaf, bibb, etc.) and make a salad with them.
For this particular salad, to pair it with a citrus based salad dressing, I added crumbled feta cheese, red onions, dried cranberries, and sliced almonds to the chilled spring greens. This really helped to kick it up a notch!
Then the spring greens were topped with beautiful juicy orange slices, and an amazing tasting citrus vinaigrette was drizzled over the top, to serve!
Make A Citrus Vinaigrette Dressing For The Spring Greens
The dressing is an easy to make “light and fresh” tasting vinaigrette; the orange flavor shines and compliments just about any green salad nicely! Making it is as simple as whisking the ingredients together… easy peasy!
This really is a refreshing and delicious spring greens salad, and we enjoyed it VERY much! Hope you will give it a try! Have a wonderful day, friends.
Looking For More SALAD Recipes?
You can find all of my salad recipes in the Recipe Index, located at the top of the page. I have quite a few, including
Interested In More Recipes?
Thank you for visiting this website. I appreciate you using some of your valuable time to do so. If you’re interested, I publish a newsletter 2 times per month (1st and 15th) with all the latest recipes, and other fun info. I would be honored to have you join our growing list of subscribers, so you never miss a great recipe!
There is a Newsletter subscription box on the top right side (or bottom) of each blog post, depending on the device you use, where you can easily submit your e-mail address (only) to be included in my mailing list.
You Can Also Find Me On Social Media:
Facebook page: The Grateful Girl Cooks!
Pinterest: The Grateful Girl Cooks!
Recipe adapted from: Kristin Bataille, Taste of Home Magazine, Feb/March 2012 Issue
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons fresh squeezed orange juice
- 1 Tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon orange zest (approx.amount from 1 orange)
- dash salt
- dash pepper
- 4 cups fresh spring greens (I used mixed variety and romaine)
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- sliced red onion (to taste-I use 2 thin slices, chopped into smaller pieces)
- 10-15 roasted almonds , sliced lengthwise
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1 small orange (cut from top to bottom all around the outside to remove peel and white "pith" completely). Once peeled, slice horizontally
- Make vinaigrette: In a small bowl, whisk together the vinaigrette ingredients until fully blended. If making vinaigrette ahead of serving time, cover and chill until ready to use.
- Place chilled salad greens in serving bowl.
- Sprinkle salad greens with feta, red onion, sliced almonds,cranberries and top with orange slices. When ready to serve, whisk the vinaigrette well to mix, then drizzle over salad, and toss to coat. Enjoy!
Here’s one more to pin on your Pinterest boards!